Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have started house hunting and I realized while considering some of the homes that I was thinking about if the this would be a great place for a display.

·
Registered
235 Posts
We were looking at a house earlier this year. I mentioned to a co-worker how great it would be for Halloween too. She rolled her eyes and said that you "don't buy a house for Halloween." I said, "Maybe not, but when it's as important to you as it is to us you do take it into consideration."
We put so much thought and effort into it all year long, so I think it's only logical to take it into consideration. You wouldn't want to buy a house you'll regret choosing for one or two months of the year because it doesn't quite work out for your fun.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
If you are into decorating for the holidays, better now than later wishing you could change things up to accommodate things down the road. When we re-landscaped I took all my wishlist items into consideration. Somethings are easy enough to do, others like general layout, not so.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Nothing at all wrong with that. For Halloween enthusiasts, it is as natural as a parent making sure that their child has a safe place to grow up and a worthwhile school to teach them.

·
Registered
540 Posts
We call it "hauntability" if a house is creepy, with a big front yard and no streetlight out front, it is very hauntable in our books.

We absolutely take it into consideration. Also important to note is adequate storage for all the Halloween and Christmas decorations. It has to have enough storage!

Also important is the likelihood of getting TOTs.

If you take your Halloweenin' as seriously as we do, you must consider these things.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Hauntability.

Isn't it time we officially recognize this term as a part of the haunter's lexicon?

Well said, EighthPlague.

Houses are intended to be homes.
Homes are the center of our lives, if we're lucky.
If our lives are brimming with a noxious brew of bats and spiders, screams and shrieks and jack o'lanterns with sinister smiles, how could you ignore the hauntability of a house?

To my mind, looking for this characteristic is not only natural, it's responsible.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
That's generally how I house shop too and when we go to buy a real house, it's pretty much a deal breaker if it isn't on ToT avenue. There is a mesh of streets in the middle of town that get all the ToT's.... I'm adamant I get a house on one of those roads, but that's years from now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
no way man...if you are buying a house you want it to fit all your needs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you love Halloween then of course you should take that into consideration! There might be other factors that are more important to you, but that does't mean you shouldn't try to find something that is 100% for you ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
We just bought our new house a few months ago and it's hauntability was paramount on my list of requirements. I LOVE our new house, especially when I think about decorating it and entertaining for Halloween.

·
Goats EAT Great Pumpkins
881 Posts
Not wrong, at all!! When I think about landscaping or furniture for the front of my house, a strong consideration is how it will affect my Halloween display (and mine isn't nearly as awesome as some of the others' on here!!). So, I've nixed some things that would greatly up my curb appeal in favor of my Halloween "stuff" ;-)

If that's wrong, I dowanna be right!

·
Registered
270 Posts
When I was house hunting with my soon to be new wife, Every house we looked at, I would say this would work with my "haunted mansion".... she'd roll her eyes, but knew it was important... well, found a house we fell in love with and as fate would have it... the haunted mansion would not work.... so, converted to over to Pirates.... Sometimes we win, sometimes we dont ;)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We were looking at a house earlier this year. I mentioned to a co-worker how great it would be for Halloween too. She rolled her eyes and said that you "don't buy a house for Halloween." I said, "Maybe not, but when it's as important to you as it is to us you do take it into consideration."
We put so much thought and effort into it all year long, so I think it's only logical to take it into consideration. You wouldn't want to buy a house you'll regret choosing for one or two months of the year because it doesn't quite work out for your fun.
Sometimes I wish co-workers and family would keep their opinions to themselves. My sister used to carry on about how much I spent, or if I thought a house was hauntable. Until I pointed out she wouldn't buy a house without land for her horses . And if I had to hear about every dollar I spend on Halloween, She would have to hear about every dollar she spends on the horses. Same with co-workers. Everyone has a passion. Ours is just a little different from others.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
All I know is that when we were looking for a new place, we considered all of the following to one degree, or another:

• Likely ToT density
  • Prop storage
  • Large front windows for rear projection
  • Location of nearest street light
  • Yard size for potential cemetery placement
I'm pretty sure it's not wrong, and I'm definitely sure you're not alone. :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I agree with everyone and would add that October is the best month for house hunting so you can see whether there are other Halloween people in the neighborhood. My number one priority for my next house is a front porch with steps I can trick out for Halloween.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts