Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While roaming around my local Menards looking for materials to complete my projects, one of the things I was looking at was the different foam insulation panels for my pillars. Now usually my wife just lets me do what ever it is I dream up while decorating outdoors without much input except the occasional reminders to not cut off fingers, don't fall and whatnot. So when she does suggest something, I tend to listen.

In this case it had to do with the look of my pillars. She thought they should have more of a defined round old field stone sort of look to them rather than the brick look I was going to do, adding that the foam boards would just be too flat. She thought it would look better and more of a stone look to use the expandable spray foam (Great Stuff). This is what I came up with.

I tried two different methods;

1: Applying the foam in circles directly on the pillar, staggering the starting points. This method was very easy as it's very sticky when applied however it takes a little longer to setup and some of it tends to overlap and meld into other "stones"

2: I made multiple individual swirls on a scrap piece of paneling and once hardened I used a flat edge like a spatula to break them free and then pieced them together on the pillar using glue. The glue took even longer to setup however I was able to achieve more of a stacked stone look and cut and fill in as needed.

So far i've only lightly hit it with some flat black for color and might brush some grey on them.

So the question, do I have to admit she was right?

Attachments

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,693 Posts
That does look pretty cool. :D

I'd do a dry brush of a medium gray over the really high points of the stones themselves, but that's me.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
LOL! Well, I admit I have always preferred stone to brick, so I'm certainly biased, but that looks great!

I don't know if you are familiar with them, but Dave Lowe has some really fantastic stone-look pillars that I am very inspired by. I would use a flat-topped "stone" on top of your pillars, like the one in the following photo, and I'd definitely grab some moss to glue onto your pillars after you add some layers of paint.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175429347958012845/

I dig 'em!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I don't know if you are familiar with them, but Dave Lowe has some really fantastic stone-look pillars that I am very inspired by. I would use a flat-topped "stone" on top of your pillars, like the one in the following photo, and I'd definitely grab some moss to glue onto your pillars after you add some layers of paint.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175429347958012845/

I do have some 1" foam laying around, should be enough to do the top like that, I like it! There will also be two pvc arches coming out of the top and going into the other pillar though they are not assembled yet and obviously not picture. I'll throw a pic up when they are both in place with the arches.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What a great idea. The stones look great. Are you able to make some notched out to wrap around the edges or as corner pieces? That may be cool. But yeah. The stones look more old world and more interesting than the brick. She was right.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have one small suggestion - fill in the spaces between the stones with more great stuff or moss or whatever to hide the perfectly smooth surface beneath the stones. Other than that it's excellent. And I agree with UnOrthodOx regarding universal and perpetual wife-rightedness, unless she demands little pink flowers on the stones.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I agree with JCO on the adding something to break up the flatness between the stones. Other than that it looks great. As for the wife being RIGHT, well it happened to me last night. Got the box all finished to house the amp, speakers, perfect storm box yesterday afternoon. Set the lights in the trees and when it came on and got dark enough we went out to look and see the effect and tweek the position of the lights. The wife asked if i could add a couple more lights in two places and i told her I wasn't sure I wanted one in a certain spot for fear it may send too much light towards the neighbors. BUT as usual when she suggests stuff and i dont agree she tends to get her way so that light will get added. THE WIFE IS ALWAYS RIGHT or you may have a SLEEPLESS NIGHT!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Considering what she puts up with this time of year, I'm willing to listen to any feedback my wife has toward Halloween... as long as she allows my obsession to continue!
Just a thought, you could cut a couple of dollar store skulls in half and intermix them with the stones. If it were very subtle (not a direct straight on view, maybe fill in some of the skull with whatever you fill in between the stones with) it might blend in with the stones and take a second look to notice that they are skulls. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
They do look good. Go with what Frankie's Girl said, a light dusting with gray at the high points and maybe a little darker black around the edges to give them depth. I'd fill in the areas between each stone a little more so they truly look like stacked stones, but MatrixMom had a great idea by getting some fake bones to stick in between them. I thought also as an aging process, some dark green at the bottom of the 'rocks' like there is mold or moss growing on the underside of them.

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
as some others have already previously alluded to ... without saying so out right ... so i'll do it ... lol ... & others may not agree, but that's fine ... to me they look like blobs that were stuck on a flat surface ... maybe if you flatten down the stones so they're not so blob like?

i don't think i've ever seen a stone wall that has that much a difference between the "mortar" and the top of the stone ... filling in the space between the stones, as mentioned above would help ... they're also too "similar" looking ... but this is all my opinion & i'll take no offense if you told me to go jump off a cliff :)

heck, if the wife likes it, don't change a thing :)

amk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts