Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a few static zombies for my zombie run, and may make a few torso's for the graveyard.

I tried 2 different methods of putting together the fingers with glue sticks. First (harder) was using bent nails as the joiners and joints between the pieces. Second way (easier) was to just glue the pieces together.

This is the left hand. I used nails as the joints. This proved to be difficult not only to cut the heads off the nails but forcing them into the glue sticks. I had to pull many of them apart, use pliers to bend the nail to the desired angle, then re-attach the stick. I used wire coat hanger for the hand section, with a piece of cardboard for the palm, all covered in a nice coating of duct tape.

In the background you can see my long list of things to build - none of them complete.

Both hands together. The one on the left was glued together (easier). The one on the right has nails as the joints (harder).

Chicken wire, PVC, and pool noodle torso with hands applied. I used my own arm and shoulder measurements for the dimensions. The PVC spine is zip-tied to the back-inside of the wire cage.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I like the fingernails Warrant!!!

Could you maybe try using a stiff wire (instead of nails) and try heating up the wire before you insert it into the glue stick? That way when it cools, it may stick to the glue and you can bend the fingers to your desire. (carefully of course)

E

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scatterbrains, the glued version is relativly strong and solid. Although since they're glued I can't pose them differntly if I change my mind.

theedwin, I have some wire that is thinner than the already thin nails I was using, heating it on the tip of my glue gun before inserting might do the trick. Even Wifeypoo was amazed at how the fingernails look.

Before I make each hand, I stand at my workbench flexing my fingers to find a desired form I want to emmulate. When I make the cuts into the glue sticks I can get pretty close. I plan to cover the hands with a good coating of white glue/water mix and cotton balls.

Ya know, it's amazing the things you discover about anatomy when making zombies. :) Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Progres on zombie #1. Legs are made from 2x4's, attached to the waist. Chicken wire torso is staple-gunned to the waist. Since the spine is zip-tied to the wire, it actually rotates freely, giving me an idea for installing a shiatsu inside for animation of some sort. Thighs and calves are plastic packing stuff that came in a box I found, duct-taped in place.

Picked up a suit coat, shirt, slacks, and shoes at Goodwill for $15 after discounts. Got to mess them up first before applying.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
love the hands, they look great! The torso is off to a great start! What type of head are you going to use?
I've been going back and forth between a foam head with a full mask, or plopping a skull head on top. I'm leaning to the skull since I want it at a certain angle and effect, plus I can corpsify it for extra yumminess.

Pictures to follow as soon as I find my camera. Wait, didn't my summer camp-bound daughter say something about borrowing a camera...?

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
That's a good step-by step on zombie building there, Warrant.
It'll be interesting to see the rest of the pics as your prop develops.

I noticed in the 3rd pic, there was a Tombstone with Myra Mains name on it...
Hope you two haven't had a falling out..;):D

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good step-by step on zombie building there, Warrant.
It'll be interesting to see the rest of the pics as your prop develops.

I noticed in the 3rd pic, there was a Tombstone with Myra Mains name on it...
Hope you two haven't had a falling out..;):D
lol...I always hold a special plot...er place for Myra. :)

After I assembled and distressed the body, Wifeypoo wouldn't go in the garage since my zombie was guarding the fridge. She made me move it to the other side of the garage and face it away. Something about the clawed hands being at her eye level...

Where's that dern camera?!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So close to finish I can almost taste him...er...it.

Lonely guy on the driveway.

Wifeypoo grudgingly helps me by holding him up against the winds for a photo op.

Taxi!

Lil' 'Un helps me with the details. I didn't liek the skull proportions so I'll go with a full head and mask.

Oh my garsh! It's Mylie Cyrus!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Stick a fork in him, he's done.

I'm not real happy about how the mask is separated from the neck, but in the dark it shouldn't be too noticeable. He even has a comb in his pocket. For the next zombie I hope to find a full head/neck mask.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I am working on 2 full body children mannequins and making them scary, the only thing is I got them free because they have no arms. Any ideas to how to attach/ make arms that will attach to them? They have a slot on the shoulder part that is metal, but from there I been racking my brain what to do? A newbie at this.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tamster, if there are threads on the slot, you might find a similiar size bolt at the hardware store. If there are any holes in the slot you could thread a coat hanger or wire through it to use as an anchor for your arms. Use Liquid Nailz to glue an anchor to the socket - be sure to let it cure for several days before adding weight. You could make a brace that attaches to the outside of the mannequin but will be concealed by clothing - this could hold your arms. Could you fashion a female socket to match the male socket on the mannequin?

If all else fails just shove a large bolt into the shoulder to create an anchor.

·
Registered
665 Posts
There is no threading inside that slot, but I could see a bolt be put in, and maybe a wire attached from it, but I would have to really build up the shoulder to make it more realistist. my next step is making child size hands since that would be showing. Thanks for the tip, appreciate it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
np, tamster. Cardboard or wedges of pool noodle work good for building up shoulders. Also, if you plan on posing your props, the arms must be rigidly attached to the body, else they'll droop like a wet noodle. Put up some pics when you have them!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.