Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will go in my cemetery, with a few lights at the base. The lantern will eventually have a flicker bulb wired into it. I have to find a glass replacement since the cheap one it came with broke. Main pole is an old 4x4 beam that used to be part of a bunk bed then became a balance beam. Signs are pieces from a pallet I had left over. Some spray paint here and there.

The idea is that this direction post points to a bunch of scary or dangerous places. The trinkets attached are omens or wards that travelers have affixed in an attempt to ward off spirits, bring good fortune, or appease the evil spirits.

Please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
That's really neat! Are the things hanging related to what the signs say?
I would recognize a hockey mask on Camp Crystal Lake but am not familiar with most of what you have.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Well it already kicks ass because it says Silent Hill on it! I like it a lot. Why not just put a real candle in the lantern, like a votive?
What he said! LOVE the game series! :D

Cool signpost! You should be able to find a replacement chimney glass at someplace like Home Depot.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Very nice Warrant! I love the trinkets attached to ward of the spirits.

But is the base big enough? It looks like it may be a bit top heavy, I hope it doesn't fall over. (just concerned.)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the wonderful comments!

@Deadna: My intent was to put trinkets from past travelers. A totem of sorts to ward off evil spirits, or appease them with offerings. What do you think? Too much? Not enough? Need something different? I'm interested with the idea of something on each sign that sort of represents it. The hockey mask on Camp Crystal Lake, for example. Perhaps a pumpkin for Sleepy Hollow, clawed glove for Elm Street, not sure what Silent Hill would have - maybe wrapped with barbwire. The Black Lagoon sign is tinted green and has green "swamp moss". The Trannselvania sign has a bloody stake behind it.

@theedwin: You're right, even though it was standing pretty solid on my sidewalk, I'll be putting a larger plywood base at the bottom to ensure it stays up. I'm so paranoid about these things I'll also be pounding tent spikes into it.

I've added a vulture and skeleton, wired the lamp flicker bulb (got a replacement glass), plan on a few more accoutrements, then I'll post a video of the whole thing in action - which consists of the light being on. :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I set it up outside this evening with a green flood. My daughter was following me with a portable speaker plugged into my iPod playing some grave music. Those are a few real candles on the top, but I had them to get the dropped wax effect. I'll have PVC candles out during Halloween.

Be sure to turn up the volume!
YouTube - Halloween Direction Post

With flash:

Close up:

Without flash:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts