Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some ideas to make an electric animated prop so that I can synchronize it's movements to a song. I have a Light O Rama controller that I will use to turn the motors on and off as needed to get it to move to the music. I'm basically trying to do a simplified version of the Michael Jackson dance scene in the Thriller video. So I will be making a total of three animated dancing props. Again I plan on greatly simplifying the dance routine. My goal is to get four or five dance movements and then just repeat them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I think you're gonna have a REAL hard time getting something like that to work using a LOR controller. I believe the channels in a LOR program are either on or off, which would make motor control for specific movements extremely hard if not impossible. There are much better ways to do something like this. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok don't be shy. What are the easier ways to do something like this? I'm gonna need different motors to be going on or off within split seconds of each other all while being synchronized to a beat. Legs, arms, waist and head will all need to move and pivot. Some times together and sometimes separately.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Ok don't be shy. What are the easier ways to do something like this? I'm gonna need different motors to be going on or off within split seconds of each other all while being synchronized to a beat. Legs, arms, waist and head will all need to move and pivot. Some times together and sometimes separately.
Well, you have several elements that need to be addressed. You have to power each motor at precise times, the motors needs to run CW and CCW, and the motor positions need to be controlled. Servos would be a much better choice than motors. This will be a huge project which ever way you decide to go.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
What size will the animated props be?
I agree with J-Man that this sounds like a job for servos.
Brookshire's VSA software is made specifically to synchronize device movement (and other things) to a sound track. It's what a lot of folks use for their 3-axis skulls.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
VSA is a popular route for this, VIXEN will also work very well along with HC-8+ controllers from EFX-TEK.com
VIXEN is also freeware which is big plus.

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
Looking for some ideas to make an electric animated prop so that I can synchronize it's movements to a song. I have a Light O Rama controller that I will use to turn the motors on and off as needed to get it to move to the music. I'm basically trying to do a simplified version of the Michael Jackson dance scene in the Thriller video. So I will be making a total of three animated dancing props. Again I plan on greatly simplifying the dance routine. My goal is to get four or five dance movements and then just repeat them. Any suggestions?
1 is going to be a challenge but building 3, your just crazy.....but hell, it's Halloween and we wouldn't be here if we weren't willing to raise the bar up and up. Good luck with your Thriller Zombies it sounds like a really cool project, i hope you finish in time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts