Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's kind of a different scenario than what I've seen done but involves using something to trigger multiple props. Wondering if this is currently possible:

My situation is that I have the high voltage box and want it to "reanimate" two John Does, and maybe more if I find another on clearance otherwise I'll just have a few more bagged morgue bodies on the slabs that don't move. Idea is that my mad scientist is creating an Army of the Dead from the morgue residents and I thought it would look super cool to have both bodies (or more) come to life and sit up at the same time when the scientist throws the knife switch (plan to diasble the stupid box from opening--too corny for me). I didn't really look at doing this last year when I got my second John Doe the day after halloween from Spirit, just stored the box and haven't gotten around to examining anything.

I did ask this question to Tekky about hooking up two John Does to the high voltage box when I sent them my question about where I could buy just the TNT box (have a thrashing prop already and don't want to buy another one to get the TNT box). Hope they will get back to me at some point.

Anyway is there some way to do what I want to do with what Tekky has out on the market or is this something that would need to be a hack? I could swear I saw Tekky list some type of MIT cable but haven't seen Spirit sell it. I would think Tekky and Spirit would love to sell more props this way and I would love to have my scientist test out his army in his lab prior to the big invasion. I'm hoping if Tekky doesn't have a solution some sort of Y connector could be used to go to at least two props.

Anyone familiar enough with the voltage box and the John Doe prop from last year to know either way?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Could you just hook both props up to a power strip which is then hooked up to the voltage box switch? they would start at the same time if powered that way. Love the idea.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tekky's voltage box and similar products to it use this DC cabling system between them to activate as opposed to 120 v AC plugs. I'm not knowledgeable in this area but pretty sure it won't work that way. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
From what I've read, the MIT trigger is a closure-type system - you just have to connect the two wires for it to trigger. You might be able to connect the wire pairs together like to like from the left and right wires on the plug, and then reattach the plug to the newly-joined wire pairs. I'm a little wary of that solution, because mixing signals between two props with separate power supplies isn't always safe - if they're both John Doe's, they should operate on the same signalling, so that makes it at least semi-plausible, but it still just makes me uncomfortable. The safest thing would be to get a double pole, single or double throw (DPST or DPDT) relay, and connect the two props' MIT wires separately to the two poles, but then you have to work out how to trigger the relay from the High Voltage box, which isn't necessarily going to be simple, depending on how they wired the internal switch for the MIT trigger line. I'd need to see the inside of the High Voltage box to tell you whether you can just run the coil voltage for the relay through the High Voltage box's MIT port or not.

It seems to me that if Spirit's going to call something a "Multiple Item Trigger" system, it should actually support multiple (i.e., more than two, as opposed to the bare technicality they're operating under now) items out of the box. :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
CDW
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing