Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Oak Lane Cemetery
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got $75 worth of Sears/Kmart gift cards that I'm looking to purchase a projector with to do a ghost projection in our front picture window this year. Looking at this on through the online merchants site - http://www.sears.com/infocus-in2124...p-00342166000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6 Seems good, but a quick cross reference search on amazon reveals a huge price difference! Am I missing something in the item I'm looking at? Is there some fine prints I don't see that explains why this projector is so much cheaper that the same model listed on Amazon? I'm suspicious.

Anyways, I've never tried projections before and I'm learning the art of projecting a convincing image from scratch so help me out. I will have a table directly across from the window about 7 ft away that is below the level of the window to set up on so the projector should not be visible from outside unless a very tall person is viewing, or someone goes right up to the window and looks in. How close should the scrim be to the glass to avoid reflections and what material would help in not creating reflections? I'm sure I'll be full of more questions if I move forward with the plan.

· Oak Lane Cemetery
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I can tell you that something is cocoa puffs with that listing. No way they're selling that unit for $76, that's a $500 projector. Take a look at the specs in that listing, it's showing a weight of 2 lbs. and the lumens at 300. The IN2124 probably weighs around 7 lbs. ebay is your best bet for a decent projector on the cheap.
As for your window scrim, I just got done setting one up using a 2000 lumen projector and a $2 white shower curtain liner from WalMart, amazing results. It doesn't matter where the projector is behind the scrim, you can walk right up to the window and the projector beam is totally invisible.
Seems a bit screwy to me too, that's why I compared with Amazon listings where things are a bit more regulated. Unfortunately I don't have the option of ebay since the gift cards are for Sears/Kmart and I'd like to use them to take the brunt of the cost.

· Oak Lane Cemetery
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately I don't think you're gonna find a suitable projector in that price range at Sears/Kmart.
One can hope. lol In their online marketplace they offer products from a lot of partner vendors. We get these stupid gift card certificates as a safety bonus at work that are redeemable at only about a dozen stores, most of which I have no interest in, so I always redeem them for Sears gift cards because they are also good for Kmart and their online marketplace. It's either that or some place like Lands End, or Bed Bath and Beyond where I have no possibility of spending them on anything I'm interested in. When the Halloween budget is tight to the point of being nonexistent one has to get creative with where and how to make purchases. lol

· Oak Lane Cemetery
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First its sold through Electrified, so its probably a 3rd party reseller. Check with them directly or visit their website and see if the same projector is the same price. Also, check if the return policy is valid so if you do get a dud, you can get their money back. Its probably a refurb unit, but if it works and the lamp is brand new you might have a great deal. Just do your homework.

Victor
Oh yea, I've already scoped them out...HORRIBLE reviews on their replacement bulbs, customer service, and return policy. One reviewer stated that their order was cancelled by them because they could not sell a projector for the price their webmaster listed it for. I suspect that is the case here. I definitely do not want to deal with them after reading reviews. I'll keep looking elsewhere!

· Oak Lane Cemetery
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have bought off Kmart's website in the past a few times (website is the same basically as Sears who owns them and runs it) and you do have to be careful looking over the items before clicking Buy. I really don't like their website for a number of reasons.
Yep, I'm quite familiar with the shenanigans that go on there. I always comparison shop, check seller reviews and product reviews. I'll bet a lot of people get burned off their marketplace site. I was just hoping to find a decent one on there and be able to use the gift cards to slash the price. Looks like nearly every projector on there is either priced higher than elsewhere, or has a fishy description. Similar results with the airbrushes.

Thanks for the info on model #s and shower liners everyone. Exactly the kind of pointers and help I was looking for.

I'm going to spend the gift cards on something else and stick to Craigslist for the projector for sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.