Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a talking motion activated dracula head last year on sale. He has 3 or 4 different phrases he says. I am sure there must be a thread on here somewhere to explain to me...how can I change what he says? Hmm, maybe I should have posted this under "request for tutorials"? There are pics of him below.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well as much as i REALLY appreciate that, I am afraid I don't read or speak "circuit". LOL That is why I am looking for an actual tutorial. But that is a nice diagram, which I am keeping for future reference for when I get this explained with pictures. And I do appreciate your input. I kind of need it in 6 yr old input, though.

·
Registered
522 Posts
you need a something to play the voice, then that circuit will turn the voice into mouth movement.

Some of the Gemmy props come with inputs for external audio (Voice) I have a couple that even came with microphones so that you could talk into the microphone and then they would say what you say. Check the base of the Gemmy and see if has these inputs then the cicuit is not required.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is not a gemmy prop. It is just a talking head. No input jacks, no microphones. If it had all that I would not need any help. I know there are tutorials on here somewhere, i just haven't found them yet. I have 7 yrs worth of tutorials to wade through and it is taking a long time. Plus, I need one that is more than just a schematic. I need a tutorial that will walk me through step by step and explain how stuff works, why it does what it does, what parts look like, how to hook stuff up, how to disconnect stuff, etc. Like I said... it should be simple enough for a child to understand. I really suck at electronics. I am not giving up hope yet. But thanks guys for your suggestions.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I found mine, and it is the same, except mine was distributed by Spirit, not Target. But it should still be the same.

LOL my son is teasing me. "Why are you taking that apart?" I said, "why not?" He said, "You've only had it 30 min and you already have it in 5 pieces". I said " How else am I gonna figure out how it works?". Funny thing is, he does the exact same thing with everything.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Easiest way to hack it is to figure out which wires go to the eyes and the mouth. Cut them and we will wire to them later.

count the batteries and multiply by 1.5 = this gives you the voltage of the prop.

buy a wall wart from radio shack at this voltage.

while you are at radio shack pick up some 330 ohm resistors, these will need to be tied to the LEDs that are the eyes.

Buy one of these:

Lighting FX < Halloween Props < Fright Catalog, Inc.

Wire it up:

audio source to lightning box
AC power from the wall to the lightning box
Lightning box to the wall wart
wall wart to the mouth motor wires and to the eye wires through the 330 ohm resistor

and wahla!

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Easiest way to hack it is to figure out which wires go to the eyes and the mouth. Cut them and we will wire to them later.

count the batteries and multiply by 1.5 = this gives you the voltage of the prop.

buy a wall wart from radio shack at this voltage.

while you are at radio shack pick up some 330 ohm resistors, these will need to be tied to the LEDs that are the eyes.

Buy one of these:

Lighting FX < Halloween Props < Fright Catalog, Inc.

Wire it up:

audio source to lightning box
AC power from the wall to the lightning box
Lightning box to the wall wart
wall wart to the mouth motor wires and to the eye wires through the 330 ohm resistor

and wahla!

And what have I accomplished? What does it do? Is sounds like all you did was change it from DC to AC.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The circuit that Calloween provided would allow you to change the audio and have the vamp mouth the new words.

It's really a nifty circuit.

Where you get the new audio is a different story...

You could get it from a spliced pair of headphones connected to an mp3 player.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Calloween, Bradbaum and graverobber,

Where you get the new audio is a different story...
It's getting the new audio that i am having trouble with. How can I actually reprogram him to say something other than what he came programmed to say? The MP3 player wouldn't work I don't think because I want it to kick in when it is motion activated. An MP3 player takes too long to start, and doesn't run in a short loop.

Maybe I should just give up. I am not smart enough to pull this one off. thanks anyway.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't beat yourself up over it. If you don't have the experience with electronics you aren't stupid, just inexperienced.

I'd be a little surprised if a device isn't available somewhere that would allow you to program in the audio you want and play it back when triggered.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know where you could get one of these devices, but you got a little over 200 days to find one ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
And what have I accomplished? What does it do? Is sounds like all you did was change it from DC to AC.
It gets you an audio input jack that can drive the mouth and eyes to any audio source you supply it.

The electronics in the units are built to be very cheap, the memory in them is write once read many, so it can't be changed. The only way to hack products like this is to replace the electronics. The motors and LED eyes can be reused but that is about it.

If you don't just want it to loop constantly with a audio source from a CD player, then you will need to move to some sort of controller and MP3 player combination that can be triggered. As one person mentioned you can replace the motor with a servo, and use the scary terry board, but you will still need an MP3 player that can be triggered. I am not sure the motion detector can be reused in those, they are pretty cheap and cheesy anyway.

Here is the Scary terry board:
Cowlacious Scary Terry Products

and here is a MP3 player:
Cowlacious Audio Products

and here is a good motion detector:
Quorum A-160 Passive Infrared Detector-The Electronic Goldmine

If you go this route the electronics knowledge is minimal, but the price goes up.

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
okay guys. I will see if I can figure it out. Thanks for being so patient with me. Trying to figure out electronics to me is like learning physics. De De De. LOL You can show me something and I can do it flawlessly. But change any of the variables and I'm lost again. I will wade through all this information and see if I can do it. Or I might just let this stupid thing stay the way it is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts