Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to have two stocks in my town square, one will be for show and will have a skeleton in it, the other will be a sturdy, interactive stocks for ToT photo ops. I know there are many different styles of stocks to choose from, and here is my current design. Please let me know what I should add or take away to make it fun and safe for ToTs.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And here is my current prop stocks with the skeleton. I need to build this one up a bit more and make it more sturdy with bracing, but you get the idea.

All suggestions are welcome. And if you have more photos of stocks, please post them.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First: sorry, but Ian't see your pic.

Second, you make a very good point! I will enlarge the holes so that you don't have to move anything. I will still keep the top board loose, just in case something happens and someone needs more room.

The sketch is the version I will use for people, the photos of my little skeleton stocks is just for show.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The large holes are good so you cut out the possibility of someone getting pinched or the boards binding and they get stuck and panic and injure themselves.
I would take a router to the cut-outs to make certain they are smooth and people cannot get splinters.

A foam stockade scored on the back may be good for the younglings so they cannot get splinters and if something happens and they freak out it will break away. The scoring will not only help with the break-away but it should help ensure a clean break and preserve most of the front so it can be reused.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So for the base are you going to use a pallet or build your own platform?

I like your design. :) Where would you find the pointed tops for the post? :confused:

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deathdealer, you make a good point. I will definitely router the edges to make them smooth and safe. I worry about a foam version. Might be a lot of effort to build something which has a strong possibility of getting destroyed quickly.

It's a good point, though, and I will ponder it.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HauntingJoe,

I will be building my own platform. That way, I know it will be strong and safe. I can aslo make sure it is heavy enough to not tip over - even if people get a bit clumsy or silly.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
If splinters are a possibility, perhaps it would be a good idea to apply a layer of varnish or polyurethane to the boards which people will be in contact with - primarily, where they're head and hands will go through.
I think a couple coats of low-gloss/satin finish varnish, roughed up lightly with sand paper, will not detract from the aged look you're going for.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Ugly Joe. I'll give that a try.

First I need to get the wood and age it. Might even let my daughter come out and whack the boards with a chain.

Then I'll sand, stain, and assemble. At that point, if I think it needs to be smoother, I'll try your varnish technique.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
I would suggest a side-by-side pillory, with the blucky on one side and the open one on the other. You might think about adding a sign with your haunt name below the photo-op pillory so the ToTs won't forget where they were incarcerated.

Also, be sure to provide enough space in front for the person taking the picture, and take into consideration what's in the background. The camera will most certainly flash, and that extra light could interfere with the haunt lighting or expose hidden wires and the like.

·
Registered
450 Posts
stock

HauntingJoe,

I will be building my own platform. That way, I know it will be strong and safe. I can aslo make sure it is heavy enough to not tip over - even if people get a bit clumsy or silly.
You might start with a sod pallette and place plywood over it for a base. That should cost you only for a few nails and $20 for plywood; pallettes are easily"captured" as they seem to be wild creatures that roam back alleyways and are searching for friendly homes where their hard work is well appreciated.

-Doc

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would suggest a side-by-side pillory, with the blucky on one side and the open one on the other. You might think about adding a sign with your haunt name below the photo-op pillory so the ToTs won't forget where they were incarcerated.

Also, be sure to provide enough space in front for the person taking the picture, and take into consideration what's in the background. The camera will most certainly flash, and that extra light could interfere with the haunt lighting or expose hidden wires and the like.
That is a great idea, and good concerns. I think I will build two stockages and put then side by side. I plan on building them both on a stage, but that might be too ambitous. I will definitely leave enough space around the stockades for cameras. I'm sure my own girls will be happy to pose for me -- just to make sure.

I also like the idea of adding a sign -- good thought!.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Behind the stockade will be the cemetery. I'll have to set it up and test it out to see what gets "caught on film" when I take pictures. If it is too distracting, I can turn the stocks around so they are up against the big maple. that way, there won't be anything behind to interfere.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts