Halloween Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It can be as frustrating as going to Distortions Studios...sweet props if you have literally an unlimited budget
On our budget, we go looking at threads like these to get ideas of what we might create. We know that we're never going to have a three hundred dollar prop in our front yard, but we might fool a few people into thinking we spent that much when they see what we've created.

It's a strange relationship that retailers have with haunters. Haunters create new things and show them off. Retailers steal those ideas and figure out ways to make them cheaply. Haunters complain about how cheaply made the new lines of props are, and how they could make it so much better for so much less. The haunters go out and prove it, by making wonderful props that hold up for longer and for far less money. The retailers see these props and the cycle begins anew.

Humans are crazy.

·
Registered
250 Posts
On our budget, we go looking at threads like these to get ideas of what we might create. We know that we're never going to have a three hundred dollar prop in our front yard, but we might fool a few people into thinking we spent that much when they see what we've created.

It's a strange relationship that retailers have with haunters. Haunters create new things and show them off. Retailers steal those ideas and figure out ways to make them cheaply. Haunters complain about how cheaply made the new lines of props are, and how they could make it so much better for so much less. The haunters go out and prove it, by making wonderful props that hold up for longer and for far less money. The retailers see these props and the cycle begins anew.

Humans are crazy.
Very true!!! Great take!!!

I want the new Noseferatu static prop from Distortions but I cant justify the $400+ for a static prop. Really my problem is the coat he wears...I might just have to try and make one myself, because the attire is the only thing that is a stumbling block for me.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

Humans are crazy.

I want the new Noseferatu static prop from Distortions but I cant justify the $400+ for a static prop. Really my problem is the coat he wears...I might just have to try and make one myself, because the attire is the only thing that is a stumbling block for me.
I LOVE the Distortions tombstone line but couldn't justify the cost per with shipping so I want to try to make my own....Once I had Laguna Wed clay, USG #1 pottery plaster, Monster Makers Latex and Smooth On foam priced out, it's cheaper to just buy the props from Distortions....The problem with buying the prop is I don't trust people won't try to steal it the whole month it's out....That's what is so appealing about making my own....If someone steals it, I'm still really mad but I can pull the mold out and make a new one....Plus I think I would really enjoy the sculpting process versus carving foam (hate it).....My point is, it was a real eye opener to how much materials cost to make this stuff....Clay and plaster is kind of cheap until you add shipping and the shipping costs more than the materials....Nothing from Smooth-On is cheap....I agree, haunters figure out the cheapest way to do things so I've put the latex tombstones on the back burner for now and am working on much cheaper Great Stuff Foam projects now that I figured out how to get good detail out of that foam.....
Another point I'd like to mention is even the cheap plastic stuff Spirit, Home Depot, etc sells costs quite a chunk to get manufactured....They have to make the molds from metal for the blowmold machines - heads, hands, feet, etc.....From what I understand those molds can cost $10,000 for 1 mold and from what I can tell, most of the props have different hands, feet, heads, chests, etc....They aren't reusing the same couple molds for everything so that would add quite the cost as well....After a blowmold is set up to manufacture, they can make quite a few much quicker than a latex foam prop....I'm sure that's why they go that route for quantity....I've always been kind of curious who owns/stores the blowmold molds after the production run in case they want to revisit the prop in later years like Spirit is doing now....ZR

·
Registered
1,124 Posts

Okay, totally off topic for the thread, but this site is all about helping each other be better haunters, so I'm going to point out the fact that Distortions Unlimited's take on Nosferatu isn't exactly accurate. If you look at stills from the actual movie, his outfit is far less impressive. I think Distortions Unlimited felt that way about the costume, and jazzed it up with brighter buttons and more layers. To us, that defeats the purpose of making a prop paying homage to a particular character. It's like manscaping the wolf man, or wrapping the mummy in silk ties. Why?

Here's the way Nosferatu should look, and as you can see, it's a much more accessible outfit for those of us who make our own stuff.

We now return you to your originally scheduled program... a thread about Halloween Express. :)

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Okay... one last thing about Nosferatu. My mate went looking on Ebay and found this Medieval Retro Men Long Coat Cosplay Costume Halloween Steampunk Gothic Jacket | eBay

Not a perfect match by any stretch of the imagination, but a whole lot cheaper than $400, and about as close to the movie as one needs to be in the dark. :) Pull it tight and loop the outside buttons with braid and it will be pretty darn close. It is coming from China though, so order the largest size possible if you want your vampire to be over 5 feet tall. And of course order soon, because it says that the trip overseas is going to take awhile.

So, how is everyone enjoying that Halloween Express website? (In a meager attempt to return the thread to what it started out as.)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
So, how is everyone enjoying that Halloween Express website. (In a meager attempt to return the thread to what it started out as.)
Nope....Huh uh....We're talking about Distortions props now....Ironically I'm browsing the Distortions online store right now when I was alerted to this post so I popped in to see what it said.....There is so much cool stuff on their site....I'm a sucker for portraits and just keep looking at the 3d set they have....Mr Mene is my favorite and keep imagining him on the Fireplace mantle but seriously want the whole set....They are really big too!....I mean just look-

It wouldn't be the first time I spent over $600 for a portrait collection.....Too bad I'm broke....ZR

·
Registered
775 Posts
Nope....Huh uh....We're talking about Distortions props now....Ironically I'm browsing the Distortions online store right now when I was alerted to this post so I popped in to see what it said.....There is so much cool stuff on their site....I'm a sucker for portraits and just keep looking at the 3d set they have....Mr Mene is my favorite and keep imagining him on the Fireplace mantle but seriously want the whole set....They are really big too!....I mean just look-

It wouldn't be the first time I spent over $600 for a portrait collection.....Too bad I'm broke....ZR
Hmmm...I wonder if there is some connection between props and broke? 😜

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder if there is some connection between props and broke? 😜
Unfortunately not in my case....We've been throwing every penny at loans since March when I realized how serious this covid crap was gonna be with the exception of about $200 in some supplies for the molds so I could keep working on SOMETHING....Don't want to go insane....LOL.....We're getting really close to being debt free other than utilities so the "pain" is worth it....Then we need to save for a new vehicle after that so I still don't see those portraits hanging on my walls anytime soon but you never know when the stars align on those sorts of things....ZR

21 - 29 of 29 Posts