Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Halloween in Spring?

After reading in another thread about Halloween pet peeves — and the crapy weather that can occur — I was reminded of Walpurgis Night (Walpurgisnacht) which is celebrated in large parts of Central and Northern Europe in SPRING. Its celebration is associated with dancing and with bonfires and is a traditional spring festival on April 30 or May 1. Most interpretations have a solid connection to witches (one of my favorite traditional Halloween creeps).

For example, in the Czech Republic it is considered the day that winter is ceremonially brought to an end by the "burning of the witches" — symbolized by burning rag and straw witches or just broomsticks on bonfires around the country. In Estonia the night originally stood for the gathering and meeting of witches, and modern people still dress up as witches to wander the streets in a carnival-like mood. In Germany, it is the night when witches are reputed to hold a large celebration on the Blocksberg (the highest peak of Northern Germany) and await the arrival of spring.

More information can been found all over the net, including wikipedia.

With Halloween being as popular as it is in the states, I sometimes wonder if we need an extra dose of it in the early half of the year. Any thoughts on starting a supplmental Halloween?

· Registered
49 Posts
Hey - I am willing to have the Halloween spirit ANY time of year!!! I think your post just got lost in the shuffle so nobody really saw it - I know I didnt! HAH!!! Everyone here in town thinks I am nuts anyway, whats one more nail in the coffin??? :)

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great to have some interest in this subject. I like the idea of witches and the official end of spring all tied together like Europe currently celebrates — although the name Walpurgis Night is kinda weird (named after a saint) which I think would lead to confusion here in the states.

I was thinking of simply "Witches Night," and use it to mark the last day before spring. Like Europe, it could be celebrated with bonfires, and perhaps masquerades of witches and demons that are being "driven out" as spring marks it's way into the season. I like the idea of burning a symbolic witch at the stake. Any thoughts on how to structure this as a full-fledged event that could garner some interest?

· Wisp in the Mist
1,985 Posts
In Sweden, they celebrate Easter with witches, too. A lot of the antique cards have witches on them. :) I've always wanted to put out my witch the Thursday before Easter, with a tea kettle slung over one arm, and a sign that reads "Glad Påsk! Blåkulla or Bust!" on it. I don't think my neighbors would get it, though. ;)

Several articles on this can be found by googling "Easter Witches of Sweden". "Glad Påsk" is "Happy Easter", and Blåkulla is the name of the mountain that the witches are supposed to fly to, for their pre-Easter celebration (on Maundy Thursday, the Thursday before Easter). Legend has it that they hold tea parties before departing, hence my tea kettle reference.

· Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
Halloween in April sounds awesome to me... My Bday is April 24th, so anything around that time of the year would be awesome. I'm not sure how well it'd go over tho...

I think i'd be more likely though to celebrate Beltane. (Celebrated April 30-May 1st). It's more of a happy holiday though... not so much dark and scary halloweenlike.... my 2 cents.

· Wisp in the Mist
1,985 Posts
I almost forgot! I have two photo albums at Photobucket, dedicated to cards for Walpurgisnacht and Påsk. I don't own any of these cards, I merely collect the pictures from eBay ads. I just like to look at them (and wow some of these cards go for a lot!).

OK...so I looked again, and I may or may not have mixed the Walpurgisnacht card(s) in with my Halloween graphics. The antique Halloween cards begin on page 2, there are a lot of other graphics mixed in (Samhain and Halloween, some animated).

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v344/ahreinya/Halloween Collected/
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v344/ahreinya/Pask witches/

If the Walpurgisnacht cards aren't in either of those albums, I'll do another search for them. I think I only have two, anyway.

· Registered
1,993 Posts
I was thinking of simply "Witches Night," and use it to mark the last day before spring. Like Europe, it could be celebrated with bonfires, and perhaps masquerades of witches and demons that are being "driven out" as spring marks it's way into the season. I like the idea of burning a symbolic witch at the stake. Any thoughts on how to structure this as a full-fledged event that could garner some interest?
Best idea EVER. And the name is perfect: Witches Night. Awesome!!! I would love it if something like this caught on. Not sure how it would, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.