Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been the summer where nothing went right, and we're just NOW starting our Halloween build :eek:
Since time is short, we're dyeing canvas drop cloths from Harbor Freight with black Rit dye, which gives a brownish-gray color of varying intensity- almost a tie-dye effect. Then we sponge on gray and white paint, hit it with another color of grey for the mortar lines, and then eventually we'll add streaks of water and algae and other weathering effects. It's going to go along the front and side of the garage, the crypt exterior, and maybe the porch...if all goes well.
20150903_164152.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts
Of course, it DIDN'T go well...turns out NONE of the drop cloths were 9'x12'- the closest we got was 8'x10' and 7'x11'...so now we're trying to reconfigure the entire build to figure out the most efficient use of the panels.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Sorry the crypt didn't appear to work out.

Guessing you were going to hang these from the walls? 9 foot high 12 foot long? Maybe use two 7 by 11 hung 11ft vertical 7 horizontal and double the extra behind it?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We were going to cover the crypt as well as the walls of the house, so everything matched- hanging vertical would work, but not enough to cover everything we needed...we're not even totally sure we have enough to cover the walls. Because of the way they were dyed, the panels have a certain "look" which would be difficult to replicate. So, we're going to scale back this year and rethink our strategy.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm doing that too this year. I wanted to do a small scale laboratory entrance - just hanging lots of fabric painted up with UV reactive stuff - but there's not enough time or money to do that & a party. So instead, I'm gonna try that for next year. Disappointing - but downsizing & refocusing will make the party better, & now there is over a year to plan out next year's decor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts