Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of the outdoor motion sensor light hacks but hadn't seen anyone post this one:

Wall Switch Motion Sensor

I had one question though, when the term "load" is referenced, does that mean that the load end is the end of the cord that you will plug your prop into or the end that you plug into the wall socket?

I have mine wired with the load end going to the side I would plug my props into and it seems to be working ok. But I feel like the sensor isn't picking up movement as I would expect it to based on the claims of the packaging for the sensor. (yes I know, don't always believe what you read) :)

Any thoughts?

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
I use these to trigger some of my props I think they are better suited for this application. My only suggestion is to put a short piece of PVC pipe over the sensor say about 3 inches this serves to focus the sensor and cuts out most of the trips from the wider field of view.

You are correct Load it what you are connecting to the sensor, Line is the power into the device.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure that I understand the pvc pipe addition. Can you explain it further?

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
He's talking about creating a snoot to limit the field of view of the motion sensor. Most of these sensors have 110 to 180 degree fields of view. That's great for a security light but lousy for triggering a prop at the right moment.

You don't have to use PCV... black construction paper folded and taped to the sensor housing works great.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,757 Posts
I work with a lot of motions here at work. Most of them come with masking material (looks like gray tape) for the inside of the lens. When I installed, I have many times used electrical tape on the inside of the lens (eliminating the need for a tube on the outside) . A pir cannot see through the tape. :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh ok, I got it now. Thanks for explaining. I'm gonna have to try that.

My coffin arrives thursday and my motor arrives next monday, so hopefully I can get it all figured out and working by the 31st!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,757 Posts
Most of our 12 volt alarm system motions will trip and stay tripped for maybe 3-4 seconds before resetting and that is not adjustable. If you need less than that, you'll probably need to pair up a timer board behind the motion and set it for like a 1 second trip time. I am thinking that will be the only way it is going to work. I am doubting hacking the motion is an option.

can probably make this work with one of simple circuit boards relays if you don't need the time to be adjustable. I can direct you to a dependable alarm timer with variable time and output options.

what exactly are you trying to accomplish ? :confused:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Diabolik. I knew you'd have some info!

I picked up one of the wall mounted varieties of this in hopes of using it on a pneumatic prop, but didn't get around to using it this year. "On" time need be little more than a couple of seconds.

I see that some people set them to "test" and find that works well. Where's the "2 second" setting when you need it? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts