Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure which forum this would go in, but I consider this part of the props. Hopefully, this is a good of a place as any to post.

We do an inside haunt, and for the past three years, we've been using scene setters to cover our walls. These large sheets of plastic are great for helping change the visual environment, but there aren't all that many variations (half a dozen or so that are worth using). Also, they are structured for 8 for ceilings, and ours are at 10 feet. They're also shiny, which sort of detracts from the illusion.

We've looked into real wallpaper, but not only is it expensive, it would also take longer to put up than the scene setters.

I thought about using color-dyed sheets and something like a fleur de lis stencil to create the imagery of wall paper, but my wife doesn't think that will work too well.

What does everyone else use to cover their walls, or anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I use old sheets or painters drop cloth that I will paint a scene or pattern on. Scene setters are good to a point but they are very thin and wrinkle easily.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've been looking into this too. We don't do haunts inside, but we've been hosting pretty elaborate parties for friends and family and I really want to boost the atmosphere with more of a theme inside. I looked into those scene setters too, but we also have 10 foot ceilings so they're not exactly ideal.

I'm keen to see if anyone has some clever ideas.

·
Registered
679 Posts
We use scene setters to decorate our garage every year for Halloween night. We have 15 different scene setters that we rotate to match a lot of our themes for the year. The big thing is that we only purchase the ones that are 8' Tall and we span about 60 feet. The rafters in the garage are 9' up so yes an 8' scene setter doesn't quite make it to the top. The solution we found is that we take black plastic, cut it and tape it to the top of the scene setter to make the 9' span. Yes scene setters are thin and we tape them up to the rafter but the tape is on the black plastic and we use black gorilla tape so they hold really well and you can't see the tape.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have been using photography backdrops from Aliexpress ... they come in 10ft x 10ft sections ... I have used these a few times and they work great. The best part is that you can iron them so there are no lines when you put them up. The first picture is of a castle I had just used last week ... it was only 8 x 8 ft ... but that was a choice ... the second is the wall I had for my Witches Ball ... 10 x 10 ft. and the third is one I have ordered for my next Witches Luncheon ... a cemetery scene and it too is 10ft x10 ft. These have not been more than $35 each and that includes shipping. The only thing is that they can take up to 2 months before you get them. The material is great ... will last a long time and you can use them time and time again ... once again ... you can iron them and not have any lines ...

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been using photography backdrops from Aliexpress ... they come in 10ft x 10ft sections ... I have used these a few times and they work great. The best part is that you can iron them so there are no lines when you put them up. The first picture is of a castle I had just used last week ... it was only 8 x 8 ft ... but that was a choice ... the second is the wall I had for my Witches Ball ... 10 x 10 ft. and the third is one I have ordered for my next Witches Luncheon ... a cemetery scene and it too is 10ft x10 ft. These have not been more than $35 each and that includes shipping. The only thing is that they can take up to 2 months before you get them. The material is great ... will last a long time and you can use them time and time again ... once again ... you can iron them and not have any lines ...
This is cool, thanks for the info! This is along the lines of what we've been looking for.

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
I have a bunch of the scene setters but wanted to up the look from them so this is what I've bought recently.

1) Last year I bought some wallpaper on clearance from Steve's Blinds and Wallpaper online. I watched out for clearance and sales, took advantage of their website coupons, and bought inexpensive rolls during the year. Right now they have a 25% off sale for example. Every so often they will have a $1.99 (overstock sale) to $3.99/roll sale and coverage will depend on the pattern. Found some nice patterns that I think will work for themes I've envisioned taking advantage of those sales and using some patience to buy at the right time. Their price filter helps narrow the field of what to consider. Plan to dirty up the paper when using, so cheap as can be works just fine. I also ordered some bookshelf wallpaper from them that I'll use for a library effect with some extra work on my part. Way better than trying to paint the stuff or arrange real books. Here's a link to their site if you want to check them out: https://www.stevesblindsandwallpaper.com If you sign up for their emails you'll get the alerts to the various sales and clearances. Oh and they do free shipping on wallpaper orders. Their site is secure (has a lock symbol and green text--which indicates that it's site-to-site encrypted so no intrusion from third parties who otherwise might advertise on the page...like you see on so many other sites). I was very happy with the rolls I bought.

As for the wallpaper for "rooms" I haven't worked out yet how I will use the rolls. I do have a few bundles of folding, polystyrene foam board sheathing (use for the outside on house when framing for example) that I was thinking of making into to wall panels and maybe stapling? the wallpaper to it. Thinking it would be easy enough to remove the staples later. The material is 1/4 in thick by 4 ft x 50 ft long and is easy to cut. With a 50-foot length you would get 5 wall panels that would be 4 feet wide and 10 feet high. I got mine on a closeout at Lowes when they were switching brands for a ridiculously low price of $6 or so I think for the full 50ft. I researched this earlier for someone and best price I could find now was through Menards: https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/multipurpose-insulation/1-4-x-4-x-50-extruded-polystyrene-fanfold-underlayment-foam-insulation/p-1444450494380-c-5778.htm Lowes carries some now at a much higher price than Menards. Home Depot I believe carries it but depends on the season maybe.

2) I haven't use photography backdrops but did purchase a few of Ambesonne's shower curtain/drapes that are scene printed on nice quality material. It's sold through Amazon, search by their name for a whole listing of their current items. Lots of topics. The ones I bought were for an Egyptian tomb robber scene I will be doing. Great selection of graphics for this theme. I'll hang them on a pvc pipe "drapery" rod and anchor the bottom. A fellow haunter on here bought the hieroglyphic one as well as a cemetery scene and a field of corn I think for a pumpkin patch/scarecrow scene. All looked great. They come in different heights and widths on both shower curtain and drapery panels versions.

1,183 Posts
Hey some great ideas. We have used Scene Setters for a LONG time, they are a staple in the decorating kit.
Last year we painted Harbor Freight Dropcloths with side show attractions to hang over the windows of the venue we were using for our party their were about $7 or less with one of their 20% off coupons.
I've also used Shindigz 's pattern gossamer a time or two. They also have other types of backgrounds.
Lastly not sure how will known this is but fabric is easy to put on a wall... just use liquid starch... brush some on the wall place your fabric over the wet wall, then brush and smooth more starch over the fabric. It'll peel right off when you want to switch out to something different, I've never had it damage the walls. I've done this in the kids bedrooms using of all things bed sheets with patterns they liked.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I guess I'm lazy because I just use colored lighting in the recessed lights for the most part. Then again our house is goth so it's kind of already got appropriate stuff in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts