Halloween Forum banner

Walk through accident waiting to happen?

3465 Views 29 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  LairMistress
We have a wheelchair ramp attached to the porch right now. Initially, I intended to block it, because I was afraid of kids tripping or falling down it. It's pretty steep...not professionally "graded". I cannot take my son down it when it's wet, because there's no stopping.

However, I want to enclose our porch temporarily, and make a haunted parlor out of it. I was thinking that I could turn the ramp into a tunnel. Certainly, I would keep it blocked on both ends if it were wet.

Should we not use it at all? I'll snap a photo of it, too.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,707 Posts
I think if you can use some marine paint like GOS suggested, or even google mixing other paints with sand to help create more of a grip, that would be a great solution so that you could do the tunnel for Halloween.

Another option if you get the okay from the owner - looks like there are a variety of outdoor specific grip strips you could put down between the spaces and along the sides of the strips that are already on the ramp.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-Wal...TF8&qid=1438536325&sr=8-3&keywords=grip+strip

Also, you might consider putting a line of rope lights along each side of the floor of the ramp to make sure people can easily see what they are walking on. That would likely cut down on any issues too, especially if you direct the traffic "IN" the tunnel and "OUT" the arbor. Definitely plan how you want to do that early - we tried to direct people in & out different areas of our yard haunt for a few years but people never picked up on it well, so now we have the same entrance & exit to keep it simple. Good luck! :cool:

· Registered
1,707 Posts
I can't decide what would be best to build my temporary enclosure with. Originally I wanted to do plywood, because it's sturdy. Then I thought about pink foam (I don't see blue here?). Last, I considered just buying king size sheets and decorating them, but I wouldn't be able to hang anything from them, unless I leave my Dollar Tree portraits in their original frames. Storage wise, sheets would be the way to go! Then I could make two "layers"; one along the outside of the rails, to make it look a little more like a real enclosure (of course it wouldn't be very convincing, but I kind of like the semi-cheesy/vintage haunt look), and an inner layer of sheets decorated like wall paper. The rails of the porch would be "sandwiched" in between the sheets, and hidden that way
Another option for you would be to use those roll down plastic or wooden/bamboo blinds, like this ~

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n:1055398,k:vinyl roll up blinds

You could hang them from the inside edge of your porch and they could act as walls for Halloween, but perhaps be privacy or sun shades through the rest of the year. If you were to install some O-ring type hooks to the support columns of your porch, you could string fishing line between each post and then use the fishing line to hang things "inside" the porch like portraits.

Another option is buying sheets of the rigid vinyl flooring on clearance (or foamboard) at a home improvement center, then cut it into long panels. Drill holes in the tops & bottoms of the panels and then use hooks to attach the panels to the inside top & floor of your porch. You can paint the vinyl/foamboard to look one way inside the porch, and another way on the outside façade. Like you could paint a window on the outside or even actually create a cut-out to BE a window, KWIM?

In trying to illustrate what I mean, I found this picture ~

http://www.masterfinisher.com/7.html

Look at the Side Wall Panels image & imagine that you could do a foamboard overlay panel on your existing porch columns like the columns here. Then, you could create larger long panels like the tan brocade sections to hang from your porch roof to create the walls of your porch. The inside could be wallpapered or painted like you are thinking, but it would likely be thick enough to devise a way to hang some stuff off them.

I mostly am thinking of temporary things because you have such a lovely porch and my opinion is not to enclose it permanently! Of course, I don't live there so it's easy for me to say! LOL! :rolleyes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.