Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever married VSA via an SSC-32 board with a step motor? I know RC servos work, but if you really wanted to do some heavy lifting... has anyone been successful? what hardware? what was your application? etc.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
427 Posts
A stepper by itself does not have an absolute positional feedback mechanism. You would need to add something like a potentiometer to the shaft and then have a separate controller board sense the position and communicate to the SSC-32 board. If you are looking to move heavier loads I would suggest you look into the servo gear boxes at Servocity. They take regular servos and mount them in a geared configuration to provide much more torque than a regular servo. However they still operate like a normal servo so you can connect them to your SSC board just like any other servo.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Not sure how much torque you need but there are some pretty hefty servos available.
The Hitec D845WP for example can be powered with up to 8 volts for 700 oz. of torque. Not cheap though, around $90.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
I saw this on You Tube. It might have the answers you're looking for.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,460 Posts
I 've done a little searching ,and there seems to be a lot of info on You Tube on this subject.

·
Registered
427 Posts
My previous comment about needing a pot mounted on the shaft was incorrect. You would not need that. However, you would need a sensor of some kind at one end of the travel or other (or both) so when you powered up your system the controller could determine a "starting point" that could be used to calculate all the other movements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts