Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wanted to ask you all if anyone has experienced this while using VSA.
If or when I try to play a event, I get this error message and unsure why.
If I click on Device #1 and drag my event line or bar to the right and then release, then double click the same bar until it changes to green, same message appears.

I did set the proper port setting and set the servo settings as well.

I have gone to ftdichips.com and downloaded the most recent USB driver for the Parallax USB board.

My operating system is Vista.

If anyone may know of a fix please let me know?

Here is the message that I recieve.

Windows reported the following error while attempting to open communication port 8:

Access Denied

Vsa operation will continue without communication port access
Resolve and restart vsa.

G

·
0 Posts
when you plug in the PSC in your usb port is VISTA recognizing it and say its installing the driver?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't see that message. Now when I started this whole process, I did see it in the lower rt hand corner a message. Not no more!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I may have stumbled across the problem and wanted to run it by you guys.
This morning I plugged every thing up and went to device manager under my control panel settings and noticed COM8 in use where I have the cable plugged into.
Then when I went to VSA it only gave me COM9 as an option to select, other than none or I guess the serial option.

Could this be the problem?

G

·
0 Posts
your going to have to do the process of elimination. Something is using com8 or vista isnt releasing it. unplug all usb devices. (It seems odd that vista is assigning com 8 as it assigns the next available port if you dont have any other usb or serial devices it should assign com 2 or com 4 ) uninstall the usb driver. reboot. reinstall the driver from parallax site. check your device file...com8 should not appear. if it does then VISTA is using it for something and youll have to either use another comport or delete com8 in the device file.

with the VISTA device|com port open, plug in your PSC and watch for which port becomes active. Open VSA, hit F3, and see if the comport is listed.

remember to set the com port rate to 38400

·
Registered
591 Posts
As a computer tech I would think it sounds like windows or your firewall is blocking the comm.turn your firewall off and try it if it works then turn your firewall back on go into your firewall and allow comm port 8 acess.if not check your anti-virus,and windows malware and see if one of them is blocking the port.also go into device manager and see if it shows the card hooked up not sure if it would but I think it would.and the other thought is is the driver setup for vista?or XP?You can also go to start/accessories/system tools/system info and see what is being assigned to comm port 8. (the local or names maybe diffrent in vista)

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spookster,
Wanted to let you know, I brought the parallax board into work and downloaded psci and ftdi driver to a xp laptop and the servo worked smoothly without any issues. I sent Jon @ VSA an email of this and also a attached vsa file of the settings as he requested. Let's see what happens from here. Thanks to all so far for all of your help and support. Really Appreciated! Will keep you guys posted.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
As a computer tech I would think it sounds like windows or your firewall is blocking the comm.turn your firewall off and try it if it works then turn your firewall back on go into your firewall and allow comm port 8 acess.if not check your anti-virus,and windows malware and see if one of them is blocking the port.also go into device manager and see if it shows the card hooked up not sure if it would but I think it would.and the other thought is is the driver setup for vista?or XP?You can also go to start/accessories/system tools/system info and see what is being assigned to comm port 8. (the local or names maybe diffrent in vista)

Are you sure about this?

I've never heard of a firewall blocking Com ports, infact I'm not sure I've ever seen a control in either hardware or software firewalls that facilitate the blocking or opening of com ports, likewise the idea of virus or spyware software blocking com ports would also be something Ive never seen or heard of.

Just type system info in the visa search bar to find the system information browser, look under components/ports and you should find the port allocations there.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
have you tried reassigning the Com port number of your PSC?

type device manager in the Vista search bar and open the device manger

expand ports (COM & LPT)

right click on the the PSC port and select properties

select the port settings tab and select Advanced

select an unused Com port

G

·
0 Posts
geez dean...was hoping that would solve the port freezing up on you.
Just a wag...whats the power rating on the wallwart your using to power the PSC?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well 1st yes Phoenix, Tried COM1, 3,4,5,8,9, and also matched the same port with vsa. Same error message appears.

Spookster, I don't think that the wallwart is the issue being that it worked fine on the xp machine at work and also works fine here with the parallax software psci here at home on the Vista machine. The one that I have is a motorola cell phone 5v 550ma.

G

·
0 Posts
a .5 amp wart ought to power thing ok with just one servo and no load. But just to completely rule it out you might try a bigger one with the vista machine. And...that wart will not be enough for muliple servos.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well then why would it work flawlessly with PSCI and not VSA? I know it is not enogh power for multiple servos but as per parallax it should do the job right? Would this cause this communication error junk?

G

·
0 Posts
well...Im looking at the PSC schematic, the pc's usb port is supplying the 5v to the PSC boards chip and the chip outs 5v to the servo signal. The servo motor is getting its power from the wart and the chip cant pull juice from the wart...separate circuits. So, the board shouldnt brownout it the servo is underpowered.

Looks like the PSC operates at either 2400 or 394k baud. Try setting the VSA com port rate setting to 2400 and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts