Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have and recommendations on fabric/tarp that I can attach to the frame of the tunnel and then paint? Also does anyone have any recommendations for paint patterns?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used construction plastic sheeting! and I put it on with heavy duty velcro for easy storage. I did random small stripes with neon it looks great when spinning! All of my props are made as cheap as possible so I made my frame out of pvc pipe instead of wood as well!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered 6 Mil plastic for it yesterday. I'm planning on stapling mine but I wasn't sure if it would hold up to it. Do you have any pictures/videos of yours?

·
Registered
53 Posts
IMG_0655.jpg IMG_0613.jpg IMG_0612.jpg IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0460.jpg
Here are some pics! You can see that we used pvc pipes for our rings and wooded dowels to keep them evenly spaced. above the duct tape you can see the velcro I have on the pipe to attach the plastic. Our motor was a drill and I have a pic here of where it attaches. The 2 inch Pvc pipe spins and the rings hang on it and spin due to friction! I use that plastic for my maze walls and it is very dark so they look rough in the daylight but great at night. They only see what I want them to see! This year I am changing the motor to a fan motor with pulleys and a belt as the drill heated up too much for a 3-4 hour event! I will get better pics as I set it up this year! The kids loved it! I was going to do spots but we have a dot room so I wanted something different for this! We had black lights at both entrance and exit so it was glowing like crazy! I think with everything I spent around150 to build the whole thing. I have to add the $ I spent this year to redo motor but the drill was only 20 and I can still use it as a drill so total $180 is not to bad for a Vortex tunnel! and it folds down to a pile of pipes and the two frames, plastic came off and is folded up for this year.:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
buy the big roll at home depot or Lowes 100 ft and I cut it in half or in 4ths so I have a ton of it It is cheap and you can use it for soooooo many things!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The fluorescent paint lines should run horizontally. The spinning effect is much more noticeable that way.

We used the black plastic, which worked but wasn't perfect because it was so heavy. We also used some cheap lightweight black fabric we found on clearance somewhere. That was a pain because we had to sew the strips together and it was thin enough that we had to cover the whole thing so no outside light bled through. I'm still not sure what the perfect material or attachment method is. Hopefully I'll get it figured out some day.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
That is the same method we used for our tunnel Trentwood (Thanks, Toktorill!). We did a lot of experimentation as we were setting up and found that the motor didn't have to work as hard when we increased the diameter of the plastic pipe. Not sure if you're changing that with your new setup this year but you should try it and see how it works for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'm hoping to start putting things together tomorrow. I can also see more of what exactly you meant by the Velcro with the pictures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts