Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading and being inspired by you people on here I decided to attempt and create a vortex fog chiller. I'm still in the stages of creating it, but its almost there except for sealing, painting, and some minor finishing touches.

This chiller will utilize what others have designed, however I wanted to try a dual layer shelve system. My chiller will encompass:

- Inlet
- Outlet
- Drainage
- Inlet (for ice filling)
- 2 tier shelf

I do shoot a quick DRY RUN video to see if this would even work. I was worried about all the gear inside the 5 gallon drum. Wasn't sure if the fog would still shoot out or what... cuz I used 3/4 PVC.

Once I finish up sealing all the hardware...I'd like to do a real test with ice this week.

Anyways...who knows what's going to happen, I just love to be innovative! :)
Wish me luck!

YouTube - Vortex Fog Chiller Dual Layer (Dry Run)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Looks pretty good. I like the innovation you've put into it, I am curious if 2 shelves will accomplish anything over a single shelf tho. If you have anyone with a single shelf setup, do let us know how yours worked out. What made you decide to use 2 shelves anyway? By that I mean, do you feel you'll get more cooling action, or was that more of a convenience thing so you could fill some ice in the middle thru the tube inlet you added?

How are you planning on using this btw? For a graveyard scene, or just manually hitting the fog button yourself? Also, what fogger are you using? I was hoping to order the VEI 935 from minions, but they may be out of them now. :( So not sure if I am going to have any sort of fog this year or not. Returned my Chauvet last year after all the problems, and my little 400 watt one I fired up the other day, kicked on, and now it doesn't work.

I really like the idea of using a $10 (or cheaper) motion detector to trigger the fog machine when people come by. Do that with a light on a prop and have it light up and fog as someone walks by.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks pretty good. I like the innovation you've put into it, I am curious if 2 shelves will accomplish anything over a single shelf tho. If you have anyone with a single shelf setup, do let us know how yours worked out. What made you decide to use 2 shelves anyway? By that I mean, do you feel you'll get more cooling action, or was that more of a convenience thing so you could fill some ice in the middle thru the tube inlet you added?
I decided to use two shelves just because I figured it was extra cooling. I'm probably going to go a step further as well and cool it as it's exiting the outlet... more to come.

How are you planning on using this btw? For a graveyard scene, or just manually hitting the fog button yourself? Also, what fogger are you using?
No graveyard scene yet..need to build one, maybe next year. It'll be outside tho with the rest of my props....

Looks great so far and a great build! Is your plan for low lying fog?
MM
Sure is... :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks great so far. I have never purchased a fog machine before, but I am looking to get one for this Halloween. I also know that I need to get a chiller, and I would much rather build one on my own then have to purchase one. When you get it finished I would like to see a video of it in action with the ice in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts