Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to put a life size Witch Doctor in the front yard this year.

I've been looking at WD costumes online and they seem to be all over the map. Besides a claw and tooth necklace and a voodoo staff of some kind, what characterizes a witch doctor to you? Especially the mask. I want people to know what it is because it is an introduction to the haunt.

I'm creating something more historic than modern.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bones and feathers especially a bone through the nose is my go too image of a witch doctor, tribal witch doctors traditionally wore wooden masks in the image of the deity etc they were appealing too.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
297 Posts
Baron Samedi and Papa Legba seem to be well known costumes for LA Voodoo (not really WDs) . They're both dressed in suits with top hats. Is that the direction you want to go or are you thinking more of a tribal voodoo? For tribal I'd layer rags of material, feathers, bones, raffia (grass skirts), huge headdress of horns, feathers, etc.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Baron Samedi and Papa Legba seem to be well known costumes for LA Voodoo (not really WDs) . They're both dressed in suits with top hats. Is that the direction you want to go or are you thinking more of a tribal voodoo? For tribal I'd layer rags of material, feathers, bones, raffia (grass skirts), huge headdress of horns, feathers, etc.
More tribal. Sounds great! Thanks. What about the face/mask?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts