Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to live in an 18-floor apartment building so there were a lot of apartments to TOT to. There was this one apartment at the end of a hall and the door was ajar. It was pitch dark inside. My friend and I (we were 8 or 9) peeked in and out jumped this guy dressed as the Incredible Hulk. We both fell backwards and he started to laugh at us. He was funny because he had glasses on too.

(I sometimes now dress up scarily for the TOT'ers but I have to be careful because I have a couple of stairs in front of our house so I don't want kids to fall backwards on them)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I don't have too many since my parents went uber religious during this period of my life:mad:

My first though was very tramatic. We went out trick or treating... I have no clue what I was dressed up as but I had a big paper bag full of candy. Apparently I was dragging it along the ground after a rough night and the bag got wet... well the candy made a break for it and I made it home with a big bag full of nothing.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My most vivid memory of childhood ToTing was my neighbor's popcorn balls. I'd run to their house, get the ball, and go right home and eat it before I would do the rest of my ToTing.
Ahhh, the memories.

·
Registered
914 Posts
That's great! Kids get alot from adults that are able to enjoy things like that.

I grew up in a typical suburb, sprawling out forever, so as a kid we trick or treated all night long! Our house wasn't over the top with decor, just die cuts in the windows, but when I was older I put a horror sounds sound track on a tape deck in the garage, our house was the only one with that!
I remember the build up to halloween just as fondly as the trick or treating. The halloween specials, even the commercials that played weeks before were exciting. Going to Kmart and Walgreens to get costume stuff.
I will always be a kid when it comes to Halloween!

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure when you guys were born, but I grew up in the '70s, and I remember the costumes in Woolworth's that would come in those small boxes with a mask with rubberband in the back and some cheap plastic outfit with the costume drawn on the front of it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used to have a blast trick or treating, but I remember my last Halloween when this girl told me I was too old and refused to give me any candy. That scarred me for life! I told her that 35is not that old! LOL

No seriously I was 12 or 13, I don't remember exactly.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to have a blast trick or treating, but I remember my last Halloween when this girl told me I was too old and refused to give me any candy. That scarred me for life! I told her that 35is not that old! LOL

No seriously I was 12 or 13, I don't remember exactly.
But were you at least dressed in a costume? We sometimes get a group of 12 or 13-year-olds who just come by wearing black t-shirts and black jeans and I don't really want to give them the candy because I feel like they're not putting in some effort.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Not sure when you guys were born, but I grew up in the '70s, and I remember the costumes in Woolworth's that would come in those small boxes with a mask with rubberband in the back and some cheap plastic outfit with the costume drawn on the front of it.
Same here...I'm 46

Yeah, my best memories were of going to the local VFD bobbing for apples & going through ''Old School'' haunted houses and as you mentioned...the old Roses & Woolworth costumes.
The old wax candy such as the bottles & blow pipes come to mind quite a bit also.

I drift back in time all the time...it's good for the mind to dream & think back on such days.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Same here...I'm 46

Yeah, my best memories were of going to the local VFD bobbing for apples & going through ''Old School'' haunted houses and as you mentioned...the old Roses & Woolworth costumes.
The old wax candy such as the bottles & blow pipes come to mind quite a bit also.

I drift back in time all the time...it's good for the mind to dream & think back on such days.
Funny you mention those old wax candy bottles. I put in an order for them on Oriental Trading. Never knew what the deal was with the wax though - did you chew on them and spit them out? Same with the red wax lips.

·
Registered
132 Posts
But were you at least dressed in a costume? We sometimes get a group of 12 or 13-year-olds who just come by wearing black t-shirts and black jeans and I don't really want to give them the candy because I feel like they're not putting in some effort.
Yes I was in a costume, I wouldn't have went without it. I do agree that kids without costumes take the fun out of it.

M

·
0 Posts
colmmoo I had one like that!! It was Princess Leia!! I gotta call my mom and see if she has a picture of that....Good times!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Crunching through the dry leaves on the street, feelling a little scared of the dark, on my way to trick or treat at the Clark's house who always gave out FULL SIZED CANDY BARS. Aaaaah, life was good back then.

·
Registered
462 Posts
My mom didn't want us to get cavities, so we weren't allowed to have sugar in ANYTHING for years. When I was little and she did let me go trick or treating, I had to trick or treat for UNICEF and collect money for some needy kids in some other country that were too lazy to go door to door on their own behalf. I guess it really is a good cause, but it totally took the fun out of the holiday! When I got older she decided it was a satanic holiday and we didn't even get to dress up anymore. Pbbbbbbbbt! I'm making up for it now!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I remember those old costumes of the 70's. The plastic mask would always crack before the night was over. We hardly ever bought costumes, though. Most of the time, we would raid my parents closet and dress up as "bums". My very first Halloween, my dad put me on his shoulders and my mom put a big sheet over both of us and we went to the neighbor's house. I only got to go to one house, but I was so excited because it was the first time I trick-or-treated.

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
My fondest Halloween memories revolve all about what the "scary house" on the corner was going to do to terrify us. Looking back it wasn't half as scary as my yard is now, but there were a couple years where my dad didn't think I'd make it to the front door of the house just in anticipation of being scared.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, man, so many great memories...

-twirling around in dried leaves wearing the witch cape my grandma made me

-setting up a blanket "tent" over the clothesline in the backyard and reading scary stories

-hunting through rummage sales and thrift stores to put together the perfect costume

-counting the days until October 1st, when my mom would let me put out all the Halloween decorations

-making haunted houses in the basement for my annual Halloween party (which I chose to have instead of a birthday party each year)

-the sweet candy-and-face-paint smell of my trick or treat bag (also made by grandma!) as I unpacked it each year

-watching It's the Great Pumpkin and the Garfield Halloween special every year!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I don't have too many since my parents went uber religious during this period of my life:mad:
My mom didn't want us to get cavities, so we weren't allowed to have sugar in ANYTHING for years. When I was little and she did let me go trick or treating, I had to trick or treat for UNICEF and collect money for some needy kids in some other country that were too lazy to go door to door on their own behalf. I guess it really is a good cause, but it totally took the fun out of the holiday! When I got older she decided it was a satanic holiday and we didn't even get to dress up anymore. Pbbbbbbbbt! I'm making up for it now!
Both your mothers sound just like my older sister. She totally pulled the "satanic holiday" on her kids, despite the fact that she wasn't overly religious the rest of the year. I personally felt that she was just too lazy to give her kids a normal Halloween. It's funny, now that her kids are grown and gone, she seems to have lost her fear of satan!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm the oldest of four, and when I was about twelve we moved to this big old town house in a tiny seaside town.We were right on the promenade looking out over the sea, and at the end of the prom was this massive Victorian pile that had been converted into an old people's home.

So one year, I'm taking Johnny (9) and Will and Ben (5) around, and there's pumpkins and stuff on the front stairs, so we figure it's okay to go in. In the rec room it's all decorated and we get cooed over and our faces pinched and given pennies and Fisherman's Friends and whatnot, and then one of the Sisters' asks us if we want to go upstairs and knock on the doors of the individual rooms.

So we figure, whatever, there's gotta be 400 rooms in this place, even if half of them don;t answer, that's still a pretty good haul, right? So off we go, on our own, into this musty old house. And there's this old-fashioned elevator with the sliding grills, and you know, we're kids, of course we get into it and start riding it up and down the floors.

And then, we get up to the top floor, and Jonny slides the grill open, shoves Ben (the littlest and most girly) out, pulls the grill closed and hits the down button.

By the time we went back up to get him, he and Will were both hysterical, Johnny had nearly wet himself with laughter and I'm torn between laughing so hard I'll cry and freaking out trying to calm them all down before any adults find out and we start a panic amid four hundred pensioners.

There's lots more, of course; the smell of autumn in the air, the crackle of leaves underfoot, that frisson of excitement I'd get when the local newsagents/toy shop/garage put out their cheap plastic masks and brooms for sale - but mostly I remember being in that lift and watching Ben disappear over our heads.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I love these memories because, it jogs mine. lol When I was really young, I dressed as a devil. My grandmother made the devil outfit and my grandfather made the pitchfork. It was great. Then later on I was getting the 70's costumes but, mostly my mother made us bums or somesuch. My mother once made this purple outfit for my little brother who was still under 2. It was supposed to be some purple creature from McDonalds. Don't remember what it was now.

We lived in a town of 86,000 and when younger and I was the only child my mother brought me from one end of town to the other. I think I hit every house in town. The only house I remember was when a guy answered the door and asked why the hell was I there. It was only about 5:30pm. We always used old pillow cases for candy since they were durable. Unfortantely my mother would raid my candy before I ever could get to it.

When I was in 5th grade I dressed up as a little old lady. It was really easy since I got to raid my grandmothers dresses and makeup. lol I then went next door to our neighbors in the afternoon and asked for directions or some such. They didn't have a clue it was me until at the very end when I told them. lol

My brothers got it really good. I was in highschool when we moved and the neighbor lady would make cookies, popcorn balls and other treats for the kids. The house was set back in the woods about 2 blocks away from all the other houses. It was a hike up there but, well worth it to the others in the neighborhood. She also had two boys that were older then me by about 4 years. Then about 10 years ago I found out that the boys, who are adults now, are molesting little boys in the neighborhood. Now that is a scarey reality check!

I'm definitely a kid at heart when it comes to halloween. I'm not much for children now but, on Halloween I go all out because, I want the children to have great, and scarey, memories that they can look back on like we are doing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Memories...

Well, my favorite Halloween memories didn't even necessarily happen on Halloween, but the weeks leading up to it. Halloween specials on TV, looking at all the neat stuff the stores would put up in their displays, all that stuff. But most especially I remember the haunted house. My older sister was a JayCee, and since she had to take me everywhere (my mom worked two jobs, so it was just me and my sister usually), I got work in the JayCee's annual haunted house for about three years in a row.

I was just a gopher when they were actually building and setting everything up, but they actually let me act when the season started. I started off as a victim for the Freddy Krueger room. They'd gore me up and I'd sit in this little chair with a slashed up teddy bear, and sing the Freddy lullabye for the people about to come in... "One, two, Freddy's coming for you..." and all that. Probably extra freaky, since I was an actual child at the time. And our makeup guy was *very* good.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts