Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a previous thread by Allen and his youtube video ,I decided to build my own virtual 4d haunted house ride.
I'm not that good at how-to videos, so here's the description of the following pictures and a brief outline of what I did.

Tingira Lights https://www.facebook.com/TingiraLights/ Haunted Ride 2019 – Details and explanations of the pictures.

Hr1 – Entrance way to garage covered in black plastic

Hr1a – Side entrance to covered area, black plastic slit so people could enter

Hr1b – inside the “cave” numerous bats, exit can be seen at other side

Hr2 – photo opportunity in front of the garage area

Hr3 – tarp covering garage door (photo taken after black plastic taken down)

Hr4 – tarp pulled aside to show garage door (the door was open the whole of halloween night and remote turned off)

Hr5 – same view as hr4 with garage door open (the usher walked people thru the “cave” and pulled the tarp back like that for people to enter)

Hr6 – with garage door fully open - you can see the 3 tarps that enclose the area. Even during daylight hours, it was quite dark in there once the front tarp was down and with the black plastic adding further darkness.

Hr7 – the tombstone and spiders are hiding the box with the ultra-short throw projector

Hr8 – view of the seat

Hr9 – the two vibrating motors under the seat

Hr10 – close up view above the screen – you can see the 2 fans, the 2 bats, the 2 lights and just to the right the water mister

Running the video Haunted House Ride from Spectral Illusions, with an ultra-short throw projector onto a 150-inch screen.

http://www.spectralillusions.com/effects/haunted-house-ride

A BooBox Flexmax https://www.frightideas.com/booboxes/boobox-flexmax.html along with a couple of relay boards, controlled the fans, bats, lights and water mister. To start the ride a single channel wireless relay was used, so the usher just had to press the button on the remote to start the ride.

A 10 second loop was made of the start of the ride which just ran on repeat until the ride was started. There was a DMX par light set to green that was on during the intro, this provided light for the riders to see their way in.

The fans were on the whole time during the ride with the left and right turning off as the ride turned right or left.

During the two water sections a car window washer bottle was turned on to spray a short burst of water onto the riders.

The seat vibrated at intervals to give the feeling of movement.

One of the lights was blue and flickered on during sections of the ride. The other light was white and flashed on during the gun shot, and lighting scene.

At the end of the ride the two bats were activated. The bats flap their wings, have flashing eyes and make sounds. This acted as a bit of a startle scare at the end of the ride. It also helped the usher know the ride was finished and to let the riders out.

The video is what the riders saw, you can see the lights flash and the bats activate at the end. You can also hear the washer pump activate at the relevant sections. You’ll note that it starts a bit before as it took a few moments to prime the lines.

There was a few things that could be improved on but overall I was fairly happy with the result and the TOTs seemed to like it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
So, was it well received? used? My experience with most TOT'rs is they make the mad dash for candy and run from the scary place.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, was it well received? used? My experience with most TOT'rs is they make the mad dash for candy and run from the scary place.
Yes it was, had quite a few TOTs go on it more than once and a group of teenagers came back later in the evening to go on it again. We had a bit of a queue at one stage and I thought the TOTs would just give up, grab some candy and go, but they all waited patiently for their turn.

I was kind of surprised how well it was received, only a couple of TOTs came out and said it was lame. :)

My experience too, we promote a policy that you have to go around the haunt to get the candy at the end, unless the TOTs are very young and or scared.

There were quite a few TOTs too scared to go on the ride, even though they didn't know what it was and it wasn't even that scary. I think the dark entrance way was what put them off.

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
That was pretty cool. Kind of like some of the large amusement 3D rides you go on with the seating like D-Box. Like what you added.

If we ever could get our garage empty ( it’s Calif and no basements for storage :confused: and too much holiday and stuff in there now), I’d love to do this. Would have to think about using our dining pergola covered over otherwise.

When I planned to do our Brain Research Lab where kids sat in chair next to a Gorilla and both wore a Gemmy brain cap with noise and lights and we rigged it to trigger both with a switch, my husband said “won’t work, no one will do it, they want to grab candy and run”. But we built the Lab and they came and stayed! Like you experienced, sometimes more than once and they stood in line to sit in the chair. Some kids were scared and stood watching and didn’t do it, some held back and when everyone left sat in the chair. Even parents did it. Everyone loved it and parents commented on how unique and creative it was. Best haunt experience so far that we’ve done. People enjoy something different. Would have loved to have done a vibrating seat but didn’t. Thanks for sharing what you did. I would have gone thru your ride for sure! Very nostalgic of the haunted house rides I went on as a kid at carnivals that came to town.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Allen who came up with the idea and helped with some tips, and another person I know who built one this year, used a Pop Up Canopy Tent. I was going to as well, but don't have the yard space for the tent I had. So that's an option if anyone is thinking of doing this.

@Ghost of Spookie The brain research chairs sounds like fun. Have you got any pics? (maybe post on a new thread though :) )

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
@Ghost of Spookie The brain research chairs sounds like fun. Have you got any pics? (maybe post on a new thread though :) )
Here was a thread I posted back when we did it. Post #7 has a link to the tutorial of wiring the hats together with a project box prop switch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Awesome stuff! I bought some cheap "shaker" speakers which I had planned to attach to the bottom of my benches. I was going to output low frequency audio on another audio track to simulate the vibration of the dark ride vehicle, but I never got around to it. I had the parts for the water too but didn’t get them installed. Glad to see you improving and adding so much to it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts