Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've been awfully quiet on the forums this year. I haven't had much to build, since my thematic party is 1980s themed this year: so it's been a very minimal decorating year. That won't be the case for 2016! But, don't think I'm here empty-handed. Here are some shots of my vintage Halloween collection. Most of these pieces date back from the 1900s - 1930s. Some are American-made, some are Japanese-made, but most were made in Germany during this time period, affectionately called "The Golden Age" of Halloween. I think the vibrant colors and the whimsical but malevolent imagery of vintage Halloween pieces capture the spirit of the holiday in a way modern mass-produced decorations don't.

For the backdrop, I built a fence from pallet boards and painted it orange. I used several distressing methods (including a wire brush and a blow torch) to get the paint to chip and peel in places, though that detailing is difficult to see in the photos. I cut some corn stalks down to size to use on either end, and I cut up some dead boughs to make risers for the little pieces.

Will post a link to my flickr album soon, as I will have more photos uploaded within the next few days. Happy Halloween boils and ghouls!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Really just beautiful! Since I've joined this forum & seen the gorgeous vintage displays from various members, my appreciation for the older decorations has really grown. Last year I bought my first vintage-inspired piece, and I bought another one this year. I doubt I'll ever have a collection as lovely as yours, but I sure enjoy looking at it! Thanks for sharing!

Side note - I used quite a few wood slices & pieces in our wedding years ago, and like how you've used some in your Halloween display. Great natural look!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Your vintage collection looks great on display like that!!

Many years ago, I would actually dream of seeing all kinds of vintage Hallowe'en items. This was back before Ebay brought so many of these collectibles out into a searchable marketplace, and before these kinds of pieces were photodocumented and the images published in books. I wondered it I might ever ACTUALLY see some of these very old pieces. And at a certain point, the dream came true. I need wonder no more what sort of stuff was made in decades long past. I think this is awesome!.....

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Seeing that just gave me a warm feeling! Love your display and the artful way you set it up. That truly does represent the golden age of Halloween!

Reactions: vampyrespro

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! I wish I could reply to everyone individually, but thank you all so much for your compliments. It makes me happy to see that you guys are enjoying the display, and I love sharing these cool old pieces! They really capture the spirit of Halloween best, and that's what it's all about!

Oooh I love! Are those little JOL lanterns made from glass? I really like them a lot. I don't think I've ever seen them before!
Thank you! Yes, they're glass jack-o'-lanterns from the early 1900s, American-made pieces! There were several different designs and sizes, differing in rarity.The one I have with the noisemakers coming out of it is the most common design, the other one with the slanted eyes is much harder to find, and there are other designs as well! They're really neat; one of mine has candle wax inside-- at one time or another, it was used as a lantern!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts