Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Viewmaster 3D viewer off EBay so I can look at some old Moon landing reels and was wondering if you guys/gals know of any Halloween or Horror related reels. I did buy a three reel set of Micheal Jackson's Thriller off Ebay, any suggestion on reels you think I may like with my love of Halloween, horror, and all things scary?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,921 Posts
Good question! I don't have an answer but I'm afraid I will now go down the Ebay/Etsy sinnkhole searching for such things.

Actually, that is sort of an answer, have you checked Etsy yet? They sell vintage stuff too along with the homemade stuff. And another thought, I bet there's some Disney stuff since that seems a perfect fit for Viewmaster.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good question! I don't have an answer but I'm afraid I will now go down the Ebay/Etsy sinnkhole searching for such things.

Actually, that is sort of an answer, have you checked Etsy yet? They sell vintage stuff too along with the homemade stuff. And another thought, I bet there's some Disney stuff since that seems a perfect fit for Viewmaster.
I've searched Ebay and found nothing specific Halloween but, there are a lot of reels to look through so I thought I could do a shortcut and come here ROFL. I did do a search for Disney because like you I thought they would be a perfect fit especially the Haunted Mansion but, came up with nothing. I haven't checked Etsy yet but will be looking this weekend and I'll report back on what I find.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Stringy
Google Viewmaster Halloween images and you will find some things. I didn't follow any links but a couple were from Pinterest. A place to start anyway.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I think I've still got all the ones I bought as a kid. I remember they used to cost me $1.50 each.

The closest thing I have would be in the ones I bought highlighting each of the "lands" at Disney World. The Liberty Square has some Haunted Mansion pics if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stringy
Google Viewmaster Halloween images and you will find some things. I didn't follow any links but a couple were from Pinterest. A place to start anyway.
Thanks, I have done quick searches and followed a couple of links but I was hoping someone here could cut my search time down a bit with some tips on reels. Guess the best thing to do this weekend is spend a few hours searching the net and see what I come up with, will report back with what I find. My viewmaster did arrive today so I'm stoked to find some old reels.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think I've still got all the ones I bought as a kid. I remember they used to cost me $1.50 each.

The closest thing I have would be in the ones I bought highlighting each of the "lands" at Disney World. The Liberty Square has some Haunted Mansion pics if I remember correctly.
I'll keep an eye out for that set Dave, thanks for the tip.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,845 Posts
I remember looking at a Disney Mickey scary view master reel with ghosts. It was from one of their Halloween theme cartoons. And there was a Disney land reel for each park. I believe there was a pic of Haunted Mansion. That's all I can remember.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
While not exactly Halloween, there exists a set or two of Casper the Friendly Ghost reels. I saw them on Etsy last year, and was very tempted to buy them for my son, but he's little, and they were around $15 for three.

I know it's not exactly helpful, but somewhere around the house, I have a set of slides that I bought at a junk sale, that were packaged from Disney. They're specifically Haunted Mansion sets. That makes me think that Viewmaster reels must also exist. I do remember the Disneyland reels that have already been mentioned, but surely there has been a set specifically for the Mansion itself, too?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quick update, so far I've found and bought, a three reel set of Michel Jackson's Thriller and a rare and expensive (got mine for $25) three reel set of Dark Shadows TV series. I haven't found any Disney Haunted Mansion yet or any Halloween specific reels but I'm always on the hunt. BTW the Dark Shadows reels are really cool and bring back some great memories.

·
Registered
13,992 Posts
While not exactly Halloween, there exists a set or two of Casper the Friendly Ghost reels. I saw them on Etsy last year, and was very tempted to buy them for my son, but he's little, and they were around $15 for three.

I know it's not exactly helpful, but somewhere around the house, I have a set of slides that I bought at a junk sale, that were packaged from Disney. They're specifically Haunted Mansion sets. That makes me think that Viewmaster reels must also exist. I do remember the Disneyland reels that have already been mentioned, but surely there has been a set specifically for the Mansion itself, too?

Are you guys talking about the Viewmasters where you put in a disk and advanced to the next image by flipping a lever? If so I had the Casper the Friendly Ghost reels when I was a kid. Can't remember what else I had but do remember those. I loved ghosts and spooky stuff as a kid. And the Casper disks are the only thing that came to mind that was halloween-like when I saw the thread title.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you guys talking about the Viewmasters where you put in a disk and advanced to the next image by flipping a lever? If so I had the Casper the Friendly Ghost reels when I was a kid. Can't remember what else I had but do remember those. I loved ghosts and spooky stuff as a kid. And the Casper disks are the only thing that came to mind that was halloween-like when I saw the thread title.
Ghost of Spookie, yes we are talking the Viewmaster reels and viewer.

·
Registered
13,992 Posts
OK thought so but thought I should make sure, been a long time and not up on kids toys. I guess I always called them disks and reserved the term "reels" for those film strip projectors they would run in schools.

So if you have patience to look through all the categories, this website has a pretty comprehensive list of the reels that were published. Not sure if it's up to date but certainly a good start for you in your search.

http://www.3dstereo.com/Viewmaster-URL/index.html

Did a little research for you (slow Saturday and hanging out at home this morning) and I had no idea how long ViewMaster has been in existence and how many countries it was sold in or how many different reels were produced! Found it interesting that during WWII they had sets for the military to use to help them learn to identify enemy planes and such. I remember we had a red Viewmaster that wasn't lit so it was always kind of funky to look through needing either a lamp to point at or needed to be outside to view. Probably why we didn't use ours that much and dad never picked up many of the reels for us. I was thinking about it and I do remember the Flintstone one and maybe a Flipper one.

That Dark Shadows reel set sounds interesting. I watched the show when it came out and then much later watched the whole series when SCI Fi channel re-aired them.

I did notice that there were reel sets for an animated Frankenstein (B323) and Dracula (B324). Saw a Goonies one (4064): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-The-Goonies-Viewmaster-3-Reels-With-Original-Packaging-4064-/281939644978?hash=item41a4e99232:g:P1gAAOSwGotWnIv2 -- wow expensive ask price! Not as expensive...yet...still bidding going on...but still cool--The Munsters (B481) http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1966-Sawyers-View-Master-THE-MUNSTERS-B481-3-Reel-Set-Booklet-/262301174505?hash=item3d125e4ae9:g:6LgAAOSwQYZWygCU; Addams Family (B486), Return From Witch Mountain (J25), Sleeping Beauty (B308), Scooby Doo (B553 - in That's Snow Ghost).

Are your reels still in good shape or has the film started to age (turning reddish?) Sadly one of the problems with old film. I also see many sold just as reels without the book that sometimes came with it. I can't recall any books with ours. hmm.

BTW Halloween related there is a Jack-O-Lantern Viewmaster Fisher Price made, assume recently. Since you have a viewer already probably not interested in it but figured I'd mention it. http://www.amazon.com/Pumpkin-ViewMaster-View-Viewer-Halloween/dp/B002P9Q60W

·
Registered
177 Posts
There is a 3 disc set on E bay now which have some of the haunted mansion on one disc. It is the Liberty Square set because that is where Haunted Mansion is located.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts