Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year Halloween night goes by and, although my wife or son typically take a ton of pictures, I don't have any video; too busy and distracted. I swore to myself that this year - barring rain - I would capture all the excitement and mayhem of that night of nights.

(And I better do it because the punishment I reserved for myself if I don't is disturbingly unpleasant and will likely require a meaningful amount of cleanup...shudder...)

Given the collective wisdom of this forum, I was curious to know what kind of approaches people have used and found to work well.

In the past, I have used the time-lapse option to videotape lengthy things like my haunt being set up, parties, etc...with the camera set up on a tripod in some optimal spot. Not sure this would, however, work well for Halloween night where you want to see everything happening fluidly. Moreover, although the neighbourhood is good, someone would eventually walk off with the camera.

I would also like to avoid the Blair Witch bouncy-bouncy stuff you typically encounter when folks are running around with the camera in-hand.

The easiest thing to do would probably be to have my 12 year-old son handle the taping duties by setting up in different spots with the tripod. He pretty much singlehandedly does all the picture-taking at family events and has a decent knack for it. Besides, although his younger and older sisters still head out to TOT, he retired from that gig last year; has too much of a blast helping out and milling about the crowds at home.

That's m'boy!

I'm probably not the only one pondering the issue and hopeful that this will be the year I make a permanent record of Halloween night, if only so that if and when the day comes when I forget what a lunatic I used to be, I can remind myself.

What kind of approaches have you used? Is there something off the beaten path I should be thinking about?

For reference, I have a pretty standard setup, although a large tree blocks the direct view of the house from the road and, given two stories, I can't safely do anything from the roof.

Cheers to the collective wisdom of HF.

JD

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've had my brother handle the videotaping duties in the past. I'm always much too busy "playing my role" to do any of the shooting myself. He's been able to get some great footage of the trick-or-treaters and their reactions to my haunt. However the last few years he's been unable to attend and being on my own I've had to content myself with shooting my haunt before and after the kiddies are there but nothing during the high traffic period. This has been disappointing. I've been trying to think of a way of setting up the camera somewhere in the haunt in a hidden location to get some TOTer footage that way. But so far I haven't done it. Maybe I just need to think harder about it. I sure like getting the trick-or-treaters on tape.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts