Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What software do you all use for ripping stuff like Atmosfearfx DVDs, and, for creating your own playlists for projections? I just want something easy and simple to use...don't need/want a lot of bells and whistles. Thx.

·
Registered
683 Posts
DVDFab HD Decrtpyer to rip the data from the DVDs. Its free
Handbrake to convert them to mp4/m4v files. Also free
Movie maker to edit if you're a pc user. Its also free and supports the mp4 files from atmosfear

Youtube has great tutorials on how to best use each program

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Makemkv is nice but I've been using the DVDfab as its just an easier way for me to rip and consequently edit my files. I've found that makemkv (at the time I was promoting it) wasn't always ripping the movies I wanted to use for halloween. Whereas Dvdfab almost always ripped the titles I needed. Nowdays I'm sure makemkv is mature enough to read these dvd from atmosfear, hr-res, etc but for my laziness I do this:

Example: Atmosfearfx dvd

Rip entire dvd using dvddecrypter
*** Open dvdshrink *** (Sorry forgot to add this also free program) to extract specific dvd selection
Save selection under unique folder using dvdshrink saving feature
Open handbrake and access unique folder
Handbrake will automatically format dvd selection to proper aspect ratio et al. Leave everything on default, no need to change anything
Save as m4v (ie mp4) file. Usually m4v file is about 20% of original dvd selection in terms of data size
Once you have enough different m4v files, open movie maker
Use movie maker and add files one after the other. There are special effects transition movie maker has to limit dead spots when one file closes and the next one opens.
Save a compiled mp4 file
Play on media player, pc, etc.

Victor

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could consider downloading the torrent files and build back up using windows movie maker.
Just realized bloody Windows 10 doesn't have Movie Maker...and I hear Movie Maker Live or whatever it is sucks...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really don't want to go through the whole decrypter and shrink process described above if I can help it. DVDFab is more than I want to spend, and Makemkv doesn't seem to work on my system. Any other ripper ideas out there?

·
Registered
683 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Just realized bloody Windows 10 doesn't have Movie Maker...and I hear Movie Maker Live or whatever it is sucks...
The disastrous Windows 10 1607 update was the last straw for me. I did a back-up of all my files and reformatted back to Windows 7. Happy to have Windows DVD Maker back - along with universal compatibility!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spend what? Everything I described is free.:D

dvddecrypter
http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter.htm

dvdshrink
http://www.dvdshrink.org/download.php

handbrake
https://handbrake.fr/
Well, I wasn't sure I could use the decrypter on a copy protected DVD, plus I'm not even sure how to get it to work. When I download the file at your link, I seem to be getting the Trial Version of DVDFab9 (where is the decrypter?)...it looks to me like this is just going to make an ISO file/image of the whole DVD. If so, is that where Shrinker comes in?

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spend what? Everything I described is free.:D

dvddecrypter
http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter.htm

dvdshrink
http://www.dvdshrink.org/download.php

handbrake
https://handbrake.fr/
Took another run at this and I think it worked. Turns out I didn't need Decrypter after all for some reason, as it seems to have worked fine just running Shrinker on the DVD itself, then Handbrake to covert select scenes into MP4. Still kind of a pain (I'm not known for my patience...) so from now on will probably just download from Atmosfear instead of doing the CD thing. If you want to mix scenes from different Atmosfear products like we're doing this year with JackoLanterns, Witching Hour and Bone Chillers it seems a lot easier. Thanks for your help.

So the process is something like:

DVD -> DVD Shrinker -> creates individual DVD scenes -> Handbrake -> creates MP4s from individual scenes -> MovieMaker type editing program -> creates final MP4 loop for play on your media device/projector, from selected MP4 scenes

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P.S. So in other words, use the process Victor-eyd outlined previously (THANKS). I'm just not sure Decrypter is needed necessarily.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Some dvds dont have copy protection, which is why dvdshrink can read them easily. You could also rip it via handbrake (in this case) but you lose the preview screen and you have to guess which file is which.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't mean to jack this thread, but I have a question.
I was using Handbrake to rip my Atmosfear DVDs.
When I open up the source, all the titles come up, in this case there's 46's scenes. None of them are labeled/named.

Is there an easy way to tell which ones are for wall, or horizontal, etc? Or is it just a guessing game? Shadows are pretty easy to figure out ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Handbrake doesnt give a preview screen so there are two ways: One is to use dvdshrink and see the preview screen on the bottom left corner when you click on each file. But if you're already on shrink then you can record each video separately as a unique folder(s) and then convert them via handrake at all once. The other way is to view every file on vlc or similar playback program and note each time duration for the specific file you want. Then go to handbrake and choose that file based on the time duration. In the end, they're gonna both take the same amount of time.

Victor

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've tried using dvd fab decrypter but it only copies a two minute section of the DVD. I can't even download DVD shrink, when I go to the website all I see is a "donate $10" tab and a bunch of advertisements to download other programs. I feel like I have no choice but to purchase the software but I'm concerned that even that won't work. This is becoming very frustrating

And I think I'm the middle of all this I downloaded some instant support virus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've tried using dvd fab decrypter but it only copies a two minute section of the DVD. I can't even download DVD shrink, when I go to the website all I see is a "donate $10" tab and a bunch of advertisements to download other programs. I feel like I have no choice but to purchase the software but I'm concerned that even that won't work. This is becoming very frustrating

And I think I'm the middle of all this I downloaded some instant support virus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this location- direct link
http://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Shrink

Its a zip file so you'll have to extract it to your pc

1 - 20 of 30 Posts