Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I would say it's closer to rosemary zombie girl as far as the animation. I hoped like heck I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything this year and almost made it...until spirit sneak peeked this one. Arguably the best prop this year. Being a fan of the walking dead, anything with good quality and animation turns my head.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
As soon as I saw the headline I remembered your past reviews! Very thorough, and you have helped me decide on some props the last couple of years. Thanks Shockwave!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
This is one prop I had high hopes for when I saw it on the website and posted here. Seeing in person changed my mind. The sound track was cheesy with the annoying "music" in the backround. Also just don't like the glowing led eyes on these things. I am big into zombies and could have seen this in my graveyard scene but passed after seeing it first hand. I'm glad you like it and I can see the appeal it would have. Just not my taste.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
jdubbya, Shockwave said in his video that there is a volume knob on it so you can turn the sound off completely. Guess the prop makers really are listening to us.

I agree about the light-up eyes. I wish they would leave those out, and the music part of the sound. But I guess the average buyer wouldn't feel they're getting their money's worth unless it "does" something.

Interestingly, some of the online reviewers complained that their limb eaters were damaged in shipping. They were returning them because the sound (guess they don't know about the new knob) and eyes weren't working. It takes all kinds. Wish they would sell them on ebay. I'd be all over animatronic props with broken speakers and LEDs.

I'm becoming pretty adept at getting into my store-bought props and figuring out how to kill the sound and lights.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, the sound can be turned off on this one. I think this sound track would have been perfect with just the kid groaning, but they had to go and add that other crapola to the track as well- rehashed audio from as far back as the guardian of the grave prop. When it comes to sound tracks, they have to realize it's okay to just give the character itself it's voice. No other ambiant sound track is needed. But I also have an overall sound track in the display, as well as a storm track for thunder and lightening. I think I have three tracks going. Plus all the props. I suppose overall, busy audio in scenes lends itself to feeling that much more anxiety and uneasy for the visitors. I like a lot of action going. You get your walks worth at my display. LOL! As far as the eyes, I'm happy they progressed from blinking red LED's. I much prefer the white eyes. But the eyes are another preference thing. If they had a separate wire just for eye, it would would be an easy way to keep them off. But the head wire almost always works more than just the eyes. So if you want them off, it's a hack. But for me, the eyes have it ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I might look for this one at the after-halloween sales. He looks okay and its good the soundtrack can be turned off, but I worry about the longevity of the mechanism. $150 is more than I would pay for this. However, at a lower price (and with a perma-blood repaint) he'd make a good static prop.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I think the gore detail could be ramped if you wanted, sure. But I wouldn't count on this one dying too easily. It's been working great. This head module, which is very much like rosemary zombie girl, is pretty robust. I've seen bad ones and it even took me an exchange to get a good rosemary two years ago, but when you get a good one it seems to last. I'm the first one to agree that a lot of these props are over priced, but with a 20% coupon putting this one at 120, even at that I think this one is worth it. From the hair to the sneakers, the detail is great. And with 45 seconds of animation, overall you get a good bang for the buck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts