Halloween Forum banner

Video Invitations

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  drzooman 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about making video invitations for my party guests this year and would love any advice from those of you that have done this in the past or have suggestions. I am not especially computer savvy but my kids are :D . I have access to both mac and pc but I am more comfortable working with the mac. It would be great to individualize each video (ex. "John and Jane Doe" have been invited to our Halloween party) but not sure how difficult this would be. I usually invite about 50 people to the party but most of them are couples so I would really only need to make around 25 videos. It would be great to make it spooky of course, but I'd love to insert a little humor as well.
Any suggestions would be so appreciated! And if you're willing to share video invitations you've made that would be fantastic!

#2 ·
last year

Last year, our theme was zombie apocalypse. We did a video invitation in the form of a small group of survivors leaving a video journal. At the end, one of us was asking if there were any other survivors out there, to meet at the date and time of the party. I sent them out in plain white envelopes stamped with biohazard symbols and blood spatter. Fairly simple and effective.

#6 ·
Whispers, thank you for the link. Your videos are very close to what I had envisioned for my own invitation. It's funny, I was watching the 2011 one and I kept thinking, "Geez, this story sounds a lot like Cheesman Park here in Denver," (having obviously not noticed the big word "Cheesman" in the opening---duh!). Then I noticed your location was indeed Denver. From one Denverite to another, thanks for the help! Your videos are great!

#7 ·

This was ours from last year. It wasn't super difficult to make, but that's because I work in a creative job and have access to cameras and equipment.

I will say this, creating 25 videos would be a chore, since each video would require some time to customize and export to a file format that could then be burned to a dvd or uploaded to youtube/vimeo/etc.

But the actual creation of the video is completely up to you and you can spend as much or as little time as you need.

#8 ·
Wow, that was amazing. Talk about putting your guests in the mood. Mine will not even come close to that in quality. I'm envisioning just getting some cool vids or pics off of youtube (if I can ever figure out how to do it, grrrr) or the internet and piecing them together with some scary music, sounds, and text with details of the party. You have quite the eye for setting a scary atmosphere. Your video has definitely given me some ideas, so thanks for sharing!

#9 ·
2011 Video

I like to do video invites each year- gets the guests in the mood and sets the theme for your party. I agree with past posts that individually making a video for each guest would be time consuming but could be a great memento/ party favor for each guest to keep! I normally use Adobe After Effects to create mine but iMovie can work wonders too.

Here is my video invite for last year for our Harry Potter Themed party (I was dressed up as lord Voldemort) to clue you in lol...

#10 ·
Fantastic! Where did you get the Harry Potter footage? If I can just figure out how to get video (off of youtube or wherever) I think I can start putting my mind around what exactly I want to create. And I will definitely look into Adobe After Effects. I bet your party was a blast!

#12 ·
Drzooman, you are a genius! You wouldn't believe everything I've done to try to download youtube video, and your suggestion was the ONLY thing that actually worked. Thank you!

#14 ·
If you're talking about the clouds with text- I created them in Adobe After Effects. It's a little time consuming and involves getting photos of dark clouds, layering them to movement along with the text and then I just added flashes of light for a lightning effect.

#15 ·
Just an idea....go download this video off of Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zvScZnMC_uE It's pestilence reaper but excellent with flashing swamp green eyes and smoking mist... simply redo the voice over on the video in a similar spooky voice and personalize it by saying the actual names of the invitees!

Hope this helps! I have this same vid on my own website..it's an awesome vid that really enhances the site! Best of luck! :)

#17 ·
This is an AWESOME idea. What would I do without you guys. :) Since we work in thew local indie film scene you would think this would be our first thought! Would love to see more if anyone else has a video of their invites! Our theme is New Orleans voo doo swamp/mansion, I'm thinking like a TrueBlood type intro. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.