Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to be doing a pirate party and for my photo op wall (its actually shaped like _| but the second wall is at a 45*)...anyway...I'm going to have 2 portholes on 1 wall with tenticles coming out of them and on the other wall I'm wanting to do a third porthole with the video of an eyeball watching us. I know there's an image of a kraken eye in one of the sea movies,P of the C or maybe 20,000 leagues but YouTube and Google have left me at a loss.

Thanks for all the help :)

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
Hmmm, the only scene that I recall actually showing the Kraken's eye from POTC was in World's End, and unfortunately, the kraken was a little dead at the time.

Kraken_eye.jpg

However, since it sounds as though will be viewed through a porthole, could you use the 'Hallowindow' eye pack?

I know that it looks 'human', but given that the scene will already be set with the tentacles, etc. it seems like it might work

Plus, it's only $6! :D

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if you could construct something of an 'eye socket' for the screen to nestle into as well?

It might enhance the illusion a bit; give it some dimension. Maybe a simply wire oval, with a pool noodle wrapped on it....layer in Great Stuff, some browns, oranges and greens paints layered, on top and then a gloss coat for a bit of a wet look....

·
Registered
668 Posts
Could paint the inside of a bowl and place it behind the porthole to give the illusion that it is looking at you. This will make it so no matter where you are standing, it appears to follow you. I know it's not video, but just another option.

If using the hallowindow eye video, with some video editing you can apply filters or color enhancements to try to achieve the colors to the eye you want.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,114 Posts
Good points!

Pulling the video into some editing software would certainly let you achieve a color that might enhance the effect. For that matter, a simple blue filter overall might allow for an underwater look?

We actually did the 'inverted bowl' for our pirates display in 2012.....it works quite well, but does require some real depth behind the aperture, and a relatively wide viewing area to get the effect across. It's fairly long, so if you don't want to sit through the entire thing, zip to the end of the video below to see the 'tentacles' and 'eyes' in action. The video doesn't do the effect justice, but you can see that the concept works:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts