Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of any good GNU or shareware video editing software ? I have been using Windows Movie Maker, but it keeps locking up and I have to reboot. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just something to cut and paste some scenes together and add some titles. Anyone have any suggestions??

·
Registered
147 Posts
I absolutely love, Sony Vegas Movie Studio.

There are several different version (e.g., pro, etc). I think the cheapest one is about 80. It only works with PCs. You will be able to layer videos, picture, soundtrack, and text. It can probably do a bit more than you are looking for, but it's just great.

·
Hauntless
8,389 Posts
I've been wondering about Vegas. Almost pulled the trigger on it when I went to Windows 7 but chickened out and went with the 'ole standby...Elements. Made a couple of videos with the new version and am happy so far. I think it's also around $80.

Be interesting to know if there is a free shareware editing program out there. I love Audacity for sound mixing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For a while before I went and bought professional editing software I used Blender 3d. It's a 3d modeling program however has a build-in non-linear editor and effects compositing engine. There are plenty of tutorials out there to learn how to use it and a whole community to support you. It's amazing how much power is in this freeware.

Check it out at: http://www.blender.org/

·
Registered
131 Posts
Video editor

I use Roxio Media Creator suite 10. I think it was also around 80 bucks maybe more. It is okay but nothings perfect. If you edit video long enough there is always something that comes up to hamper the edit. Locks, freezes, forget to save and lose it, I think it is an evil plan to give me more gray hair. I have a Quad 4 processor with 4GB ram very fast. I also quit all other programs and it will still freeze. Youre running a memory hog of a program and it does not play well with others. Good Luck

·
Hauntless
8,389 Posts
I use Roxio Media Creator suite 10. I think it was also around 80 bucks maybe more. It is okay but nothings perfect. If you edit video long enough there is always something that comes up to hamper the edit. Locks, freezes, forget to save and lose it, I think it is an evil plan to give me more gray hair. I have a Quad 4 processor with 4GB ram very fast. I also quit all other programs and it will still freeze. Youre running a memory hog of a program and it does not play well with others. Good Luck
<Terra nods head in total agreement>

:p

·
Obssessed Haunter
3,039 Posts
I have Elements also, and it works pretty well. I found that you dont want to have the video too long. When I edited one to play for 3 hours I couldnt open it back up because it would freeze the program :( I had to start all over !!!!!!!!!!!
Learned that lesson well.... I will just set the dvd player to loop!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I am using several packages including, but not limited to....Sony Vegas 8, Cyberlink PowerDirector AND PowerProducer, Corel Videostudio Pro and a FAN-TASTIC little program called Adobe AfterEffects for adding special effects into you videos. Out of all of the above however, i almost always use the Cyberlink programs as they are fast and very intuitive. For an example, check my profile and look at my You Tube halloween video, it shows transitions etc. with the background soundtrack......cheers.....'Scruff

P.S. Here's a link to my video.......YouTube- HAL2009

And another......http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=l3P4FwZxDyE

·
Defender of Blucky Honor
1,051 Posts
Buyer beware, software is great but make sure you have hardware that can support it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Buyer beware, software is great but make sure you have hardware that can support it.
I second this remark. For standard def i would recommend at least a 4 GHz Pentium 4 processor with 1 gig of ram. For HD make sure you have more than two processing cores running at at least 2.5 GHz each and at least 4 gigs of ram.

Also as a word of caution I wouldn't even attempt to do HD visual effects on a machine with at least 6 gigs of ram and a quad core processor. Just a word to the wise.

This is what i do for a living and go to school for.

·
Bucky Brain Surgeon
911 Posts
MacBooK Pro and iMovie. It does pretty much anything I have tried to do and all in HD too. No freezes, crashes or other misbehaving either.

I've tried PC movie software and I thought Vegas studio worked fairly well, but everything on the Mac, especially the creative stuff is just so much easier for me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts