Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say...
THANK YOU and WELCOME HOME to our retired Veterans...

and THANKYOU to those who still serve.

Just a simple recognition, and honor.

Some of us realize this is MORE then just a day off.:)

(because of you we can sit here and have the political arguement they are having a few threads down :p)

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Right on, Moon, as a father of a US Army Vet, I'm with you on this one. And our forum HAS a veteran on Iraqi Freedom as a member. Remember JCarpenter? He used to log on from Falujah.

·
Delightfully Sinful
2,527 Posts
I also wanted to say "Happy Veterans Day" to everyone and anyone who has served. Being a child of a Vietnam Vet and a friend to several who have served.

Thank you for everything you have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
MASTER OF ALL I SURVEY!
100,685 Posts
:)Happy Veteran's Day to those who have served and to those who are still serving.....

Thank you for keeping our country safe! God Bless you one
and all and keep you safe.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread Moon!

I have the utmost respect for our brave servicemen, both past and present. This is the day we set aside to honor you, but I take the time to thank every serviceman I meet any day of the year. Your service to our country and for our way of life means more to us than you can possibly imagine. Thank you!!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Thank you to all who have served, and have contributed to keeping our country free.
I may not have a serious bone in my body, but I do feel genuine respect for those who would defend us, our rights, privileges, and way of life.

Thank you, every one of you.

·
The Evil Spectre
1,220 Posts
I have always told my sons' that I proudly served in the Marines for six years, and he asks questions about what the military was like all the time, but last night really hit a sensitive nerve in me.

He got home from school, he's 8 yrs old and in 2nd grade, but he told me that he wanted me to come to school with him today for a Veterans day assembly. I told him that I ha to work, and he begged me to come. I told him I couldn't and he was disappointed but said he understood.

Laying in bed last night around 1:30a.m. I just couldn't get the disappointed look in his eyes out of my head, so I decided to take my last vacation day of the year and surprise him. I got up with him in the morning and got him dressed, and he didn't remember that today was the assembly.

I asked him what time the assembly started, and he said 9:00 a.m. then he said "WAIT, aren't you supposed to be at work today?" I told him I'd love to go to his assembly and he was soo excited.

I get to the assembly, and both of my boys are there (my other one is 6 years old). I'm sure glad I went. The program went on, and I was so excited to see both of my boys stand up in front of everyone, and read me a Veterans Day poem that my oldest wrote. I have never been so proud, than to see my oldest boy read his poem in front of everyone, with tears in his eyes.

It was nice that every student that had a parent as a veteran was allowed to say something to honor them at the assembly. It was worth it to me to take my last vacation day off to see the look on their faces.

Sorry to go on a rant, but I had to share this with someone.

All my thanks to all the members of the forum who are currently serving, or have done so in the past. Our democracy is alive and well today because of all they sacrificed.

I'd like to share a poem that my boys gave me today. This isn't the one they wrote, but they gave me a little homemade plaque they made in school.

They Did Their Share

On Veteran’s Day we honor
Soldiers who protect our nation.
For their service as our warriors,
They deserve our admiration.

Some of them were drafted;
Some were volunteers;
For some it was just yesterday;
For some it’s been many years;

In the jungle or the desert,
On land or on the sea,
They did whatever was assigned
To produce a victory.

Some came back; some didn’t.
They defended us everywhere.
Some saw combat; some rode a desk;
All of them did their share.

No matter what the duty,
For low pay and little glory,
These soldiers gave up normal lives,
For duties mundane and gory.

Let every veteran be honored;
Don’t let politics get in the way.
Without them, freedom would have died;
What they did, we can’t repay.

We owe so much to them,
Who kept us safe from terror,
So when we see a uniform,
Let’s say "thank you" to every wearer.

By Joanna Fuchs

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
As the wife of a Navy pilot, I'd just like to say thank you for your kind words. Military life isn't easy but it's rewarding when you hear things like you all have said here. Vets and active-duty guys alike often feel forgotten.

·
Maniacal Imagineer
1,746 Posts
My Grandfather served in the 1st Inf. Div. in France, WWI
My father served in the 1st Inf Div. in Germany, WWII
I served in the 1st Inf. Div. in Vietnam 1968
I am thankfuf that neither of my sons were called to serve
And I pray that my grandson will never have a need to...

·
Don't Drink and Fly!!
2,959 Posts
CMG, that brought tears to my eyes. You'll never miss that vacation day!!

Those who serve to keep us safe and free deserve our undying love and respect. Thanks to all who serve, or have served this country. God bless you and your families.

·
Registered
605 Posts
WOW!!!!! CMG, what an awesome post!! I'm so glad that all worked out for you. Something your children will remember the rest of their lives. People like you make me proud to be an American so thank you. Proud is not what I've been feeling lately. I can't wait to share this thread with OEJ. At every opportunity, he'll stop and thank a service man. We didn't see any today while we were out and about. :(

·
Registered
823 Posts
As a Canadian i want to thank all those who made it possible for us to be able to speak the language we want,to travel wherever we want ,choose who we want for President or prime minister and thanks for making it possible for all of us to be able to have a picture of our kids or parents ect in our house instead of Adolf Hitler and not to have to salute it everytime we enter the house . And Mostly thanks for the ones who in the future will keep us safe whatever country we live in we will never forget, maybe not always saying it, but thinking of it .

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CMGhost -- in the way of the Native American World we have a saying....
"The children are our future... "
and you know what? Your story shared with all of us was beautiful. Your children are being taught very well, obviously :D
Thankyou--

My 7yr old daughter has learned from the Powwows (we honor ALL warriors every powwow which means those who serve/served) every time she sees a service man/woman no matter where we are she walks up and says," Thankyou, welcome home"

and Southern Belle--- It needs to be known how much it is appreciated by us civilians more then one day a year
((Hugs)) to you as well your sacrifice is to be honored as well--

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Thank you, for thanking us.

I'd also like to thank the families and friends of those of us who didn't make it back home.
Some gave all.

To add to what Wolfman stated, there is more than just one gulf vet forum member.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
My dad in 1940 when he served during WWII.

My son, on his graduation day from Navy Recruit Training taken in August.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Thank You Moon for starting this thread. Happy Veterans Day to all who served. Three years of working with Vietnam Vets & then marrying one of them, also some work with a few Desert Storm Vets & some Iraque, some of the most gratifying work I have ever done in my life. I'll never forget these guys & their stories.

My trip to "The Wall" took on a whole new meaning when I was able to find names of guys & to know what really happened to them from Vets I had talked to. Thats how we keep the memory of them alive, is to tell others who they were, where they were from & even the little comical things they were known for. They will live on in our hearts forever.

Muf

1 - 20 of 20 Posts