Halloween Forum banner

Very Very inexpensive trees

Floral 
50K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  Roxie 
#1 ·
I dont know if this is the right place to ask this but........

I need help from the more crafty and imaginative people here.

I need 5-6 trees about 18"-2ft diameter and about 8ft tall, I just need the trunks, I dont need branches but for the life of me I cant find a cheap way to make these tree trunks. If I can get the form I can handle the detailing but the whole creation of the form has me stumped.

I have looked into cardboard but cannot get any cardboard boxes large enough for this. I thought about chicken wire but a roll long enough for this is around $50 and the wood supports for it would be another $1-$2 each.

I'm stumped.

I dont want 2D trees either, so no Spirit Halloween trees.

Any ideas?

Thanks

#7 ·
Hmm.,..they wouldn't be as wide as you're asking for. But you might think about using the round concrete molds from a hardware store. They're only like 4 ft tall, but if you put 2 together it would give you the right height. But, by the time you get all 5-6 trees done you'd be back up there in the price. They're like $6 each. So you'd be paying out close to $80. The only good thing is that you wouldn't have to us a crapload of paper mache in order to build up your trees. lol

#8 ·
hey Anji4062, I looked at those at Home depot first, the largest I saw was 12". That would actually be okay but like you said I would need 2 per tree and here they sell for $12 and change ea.......so yeah, it would be huge expensive.

I did have another thought today, I could get a few sheets of plywood and cut 8 2ft circles per sheet and then use 1x2 stringers as a frame and the circles as the base and top then wrap them in something and make "great stuff" bark and paint........still working out the economics of this option tho.

#13 ·
I am in the process of creating several trees in my apartment. They are 7' tall. I took 16 oz cup boxes (restaurant/cafeteria throw-aways) and opened them out. When fully extended they can be taped with masking tape to make them tall enough. I then take brown bags, tear them and glue to the joints to give it more stability. Bend the "tree" length-wise ( 2 or 3 sections); splice with another section, etc. to get them round enough using tape. The box folds will hold since they are now supported by the lengthwise folds. I use 4 sets bended in half (trapezoid shaped). They stand very secure but I am going to further secure them to footing boards on bottom. Just cover with torn up paper bags and paint!

I have done my limbs the same way and fitted them inside holes, taped the joint, etc. Takes a couple of days per tree but I have very little $$ invested and wouldn't be crushed if they became trash in November.

#15 ·
Cheap trees

Never thought about building foam for trees, just tombstones. I need to give that some thought. I was thinking about using the chicken wire/insulating foam route but haven't enough space in my apartment; it's too hot to build outside right now. Lots of good ideas out there.

#16 ·
Alucard.....that is awesome! Gave me great ideas for next year. I sat for HOURS looking for some black trees online few months back and everything I found that fit the need was sold out or way too expensive.

This one is definitely on the next "to do" list.

#17 ·
Tree idea. . .

You can turn a 30 gallon plastic trash can upside down and drape burlap or a sheet over the top to make folds the resemble the tree surface. Then cover with PM or MMud. If it's a brown or black sheet - you may not even need the coating of MMud if you tape some poly fill stuffing to the can before draping. You would have a tall-ish base for a low creepy tree. Easy to stick branches in and creep it up with leaves and dollar store bags of moss and webs. It looks a bit goofy in the daylight - but at night - uplit - it's a cheap but fun stumpy tree.
I'll try and take a few pics of mine if the rain would stop....:(

#18 ·
Hope you were able to come up with some ideas. The only thing I could think of was PVC and chicken wire, or maybe even make cardboard...you know like two tree pieces and slots to make it 3D when put together. But i think the others have come up with better ideas.

#21 ·
Go by your local carpet store and ask if they have any carpet tubes. These are very sturdy cardboard and come in 12 ft on up lenghths.We cut them with a trim saw or circle saw to the lenghth we want. These are about 6-8 inches diameter tubes...Hope this helps. .
Best of all they are free and then maybe you could bind several together to get the diameter you want., then use a little spray foam to create branches or roots

#24 ·
Cardboard Trees

I am working on cardboard box trees as in my earlier reply. I am attaching some pics to show the process of turning an ordinary box into a tree (or stump). The important thing is the total length and width when the box is fully opened. My work is still evolving, but it should suffice for a bunch of 2-6 year olds!

View attachment 6747

View attachment 6748

View attachment 6749

View attachment 6750

#27 ·
scary trees

I am working on cardboard box trees as in my earlier reply. I am attaching some pics to show the process of turning an ordinary box into a tree (or stump).

View attachment 6749

View attachment 6750

Ah ~ love such ideas ~ great trees. I think now looking at yours I'll add a lil more dimension to my flat ones...the vein idea is great! ....and maybe some moss hanging down. Mine will be framing in a sitting area, lit up by black lights...so lots of eys and cheshire grins to be seen ...but I like your smaller full size tree...so maybe one of those....goal is have this done by end of this weekend...cross fingers. LOL

Still from upcoming Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter (scary trees in back ground)

#26 ·
Here's a pic from a play (of Alice IN Wonderland) I saved it for doing up scary trees in my livingroom black light forest (pics to be posted soon) But heres an idea ...

Im taking refridge cardboard boxes, paiting black and strips of brown on the trunks for depth...mine will be inside but if outside I read you can paint over with boat varnish (or sim) and it will keep the cardboard good for at least the month of Oct . Hope that helps. See my page for more AIW pics and ideas, Ani (aka the White Rabbie)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.