Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok last night on halloween night after everyone was done trick or treating, i took in all my life sized talking characters and i wasnt inside for like 10 min and i hear something that i thought was on my porch , so my hubby went outside and my air blown inflatables were dragged all the way across my yard and against the fence at nieghbors, well i have servalence cameras aiming at them and you can see 5 kids run by and hit them and grab them and drag them down the block, SO one has the rings ripped off of it and one has the whole base ripped from the fabric :( and the other 3 still work, So we called the cops and they took pics of the guys on the camera and he said since there face's are painted white its gonna be hard to say who it is but he'll try to fine them, and if he catches them we can p ress charges. Well i could have found them if i drove around faster than them getting to my house. So now i'm out a few inflatables that cost 100 dollars a piece :(. They dont want me to catch them. There was a house too across town that has the grave yard seen and they slashed it and its ruined and a few stolen that night. I'm so glad i took my life sized characters in becuase they would have been ruined too and thats alot more money i have 7 of them. Kids why cant they just go out and have fun without messing with peoples property

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your lose. That is a big drag but, at least it was after the event so you have the whole year to recoup and try to fix them. You might want to try some rubber cement on the rings if that is at all possible.
There is always one of us out side while we move things around. We tend to put the stuff in the garage overnight and then tear down in the daylight when we can see who is around.
On Halloween we had some kids by and then the came back with their friends and again with more friends. The mother was there and told us her son was having a sleep over. He was well behaved with this mother there but, the other three were animals. They had to poke, kick or touch just about anything. They didn't want to stay on the trail and would trip over fishing line. We kept a hawk eye on each of them and tended to heard them around. As soon as they hit the end of the driveway we made a point of starting to tear down are display. Next year I'll put out signs about DO NOT TOUCH and STAY ON TRAIL. Then if they disobey I can beat the crap out of them.
Good luck with the props and let us know if you can fix them. You might also want to check with your insurance company if that is an option.

·
Registered
330 Posts
From one angel to another, I feel for u, I too had vandalism, people dont care and their uneducated, lol maybe its a good idea people like that dont breed, its just a thought.

·
The Grated Pumpkin
1,426 Posts
lilangel, my sympathies. You may consider a sign posted nearby next year, with something along the following: "This display is under 24 hour video surveillance... all of the props have been photographed and documented with the _________ police department, and vandals will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law". It might cause would-be jackasses from damaging your goods again.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for the ideas, I'm shopping around for a new inflatable at the store clearances to replace the one that got ripped, i'm gonna try and fix it though, its just so frustrating, and they even had the balls to do it while we were sitting on the couch with all the lights on. So far no luck with the cops either, my husband said next year he's gonna put up trip lines ha He said you almost have to incase them for them to not be touched, last year my sister put out some christmas ones and someone took a cigaret and poked holes all over it. Kids have no value of property

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yes, I have had Christmas displays vandalized more than once, if you can believe that. Hard to understand why someone would want to steal or damage a decoration instead of just leaving it there so everyone can enjoy it...but, people do things like this I guess. Sorry to hear about it.

I remember when I was a kid, there were some hooligans going around kicking jack o lanterns in one Halloween, and I thought that was really lame, although historically, Halloween in past years was often a troublesome night plagued by vandalism and various mischief.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
... Kids why cant they just go out and have fun without messing with peoples property
Ya know, I can almost understand 'em doing it to X-Mas decorations (as much as that holiday is jammed down everyone's throat), but this is their holiday. It just doesn't make sense!!

I do hope that they slip up & get caught - if for nothing else to have to come back to all the places they tore stuff up & say "sorry".

·
Open up and say "Aaaaahh"
1,562 Posts
AS said before, Halloween is full of mischeif. It's your responsibility to expect it, and to prepare for it. I put out JOL's and fully expect them to be splattered in the street before the night is over. My props are watched by a live person from the time they are put up to the time we take them down which is always on Halloween day/night. Never up before or after. You just HAVE to expect mayhem on that night, it's tradition for crying out loud. While I'm sorry you things got tossed about, I'm surprised to hear how shocked you are about it. I full expect "Tricks" like egging, toilet papering, window soaping/shaving creamed. It's been going on for years and years and it's nothing new. Maybe they didn't like your "Treats" so you got "Tricked". Who knows. I'm just always surprised people EXPECT angelic behaviour on Halloween, and then when it doesn;t happen they complain about it. Just remember what Halloween is, what it's about and BE PREPARED.

Rant-bot deactivated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would have rather them egg or toilet paper, My props went up that day and and we were taking them down that day , long enough for me to go in and get a drink they were destroyed. Destruction of private property is not cool nor should be accepted, what happened to the egging and toilet papering? they dont do that anymore, They are the reason i have servalence camera's. Believe me i'm not shocked about it thats why i have camera's. Kids now a days have not respect for peoples property. I was in process of moving everything indoors when this happened.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,528 Posts
Lilangel, I'm curious... do you have a fence around your display? Like a faux graveyard fence or anything? Not that it helps now, but I'm just curious. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. :( Plain and simple, some people just SUCK!! Not sure if they're born that way, or raised that way, but it's a simple fact. Very brave of you to search out new inflatables. I'd have to say that a similar experience would probably sour me for the next year.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We just have a small fence around them thats plastic, NExt year we will be not leaving there site till there all in the house safe and sound. I'm not gonna let them ruin my halloween fun. Just gonna keep a even closer eye next year on them. You just cant enjoy anything anymore without someone trying to mess things up

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Angel, this news really bummed me out. Tricks are fine, pranks are OK, but what you went through is Vandalism, property damage. I hope, at least, that you can track them down, and inform the parents. They should be ashamed of themselves for raising kids like that.

Don't let this sour you, hang in there.

·
Queen of Crap
3,728 Posts
lilangel - unfortunately I think the days of eggs and toilet paper are over. We could talk all day about why kids these days behave the way they do. I'm really sorry this happened to you. Hopefully this won't change the way you do things for next year and you'll keep trying to make things bigger and better. I'll never understand why some people take delight in being malicious to others.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THey arent gonna rain on my parade, i already ordered a new inflatable and fixed the one they ripped. Gonna set up a few more camera's and put a bigger fence around them and take them down asap on halloween night never taking my eyes off them for a second ha halloween is my favorite holiday and they are not going to ruin it for me or my neighbors or trick or treaters that enjoy my display;)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Why don't you print out some of the pics you captured of them and post them around the neighborhood? No sense in letting the little punks think they got away with it!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that is a great idea , the police put pics on a crime stopper page too with details on what they had on too so maybe there parents will see it and report

1 - 17 of 17 Posts