Halloween Forum banner

VERY disappointed with Wal-Mart

10K views 71 replies 52 participants last post by  Halloweenfan 
#1 ·
Ok, as most of you have seen walmarts Halloween section is crap this year! The one we have here, in fact is the biggest selling walmart in ND, dosnt have crap, three rows of costumes and maybe 1/2 row of decorations and props :(
Very upset. Its pretty bad when a local grocery store has more props than they do.
Maybe as it gets closer they will have more out, but it dosnt look good.
No tombstones at all yet this year. Ill be making my own anyway.
Hardly any masks, just costumes.
I guess Ill be shopping online this year. My wife always gets me a few things for Christmas when everything goes on sale right after Halloween, not this year. Not only have they tried to ruin my Halloween, they are about to ruin my Christmas also.. LOL
Well guys, end of rant. Hope you all ahve better luck than I do!!

#2 ·
I sympathize my friend. They were pretty much the last store around here to put any Halloween items out and they have nothing in the way of props. A few over-done glittered foam words and plastic decorative bowls/plates/cups and that's about it.

Very very disappointing!

#4 ·
Yeah same with my Walmart. I work there too so it upsets me every time I pass it on the way of when I have to clock in. It depresses me to see that they hardly have any items in.

#19 ·
In my opinion, Halloween, and Christmas stuff are the stuff they should put more out because they are huge sellers. They would be better to take away clothes, garden stuff, sports stuff (like footballs, golf clubs, - I say this because people have footballs, and they might keep the stuff they have if they are hurting.), and so on because those stuff people can take it or leave it.

However, I was listening to CNBC show which in my opinion was a negative slant towards Wal-Mart, but in it they talked about Wal-Marts new strategy. They also talked about the new strategy on Yahoo (in the news section) not too long ago. The strategy is to clear up aisles, and put major stuff on endcaps. Why are they cleaning up the aisles?

Wider aisles means more people can fit in them, and the store looks cleaner. I think this is completely idiotic because those things in the middle of aisles equal me buying those things whereas I may not travel down the drink aisle that has Powerade at $.79, but in the middle of the aisle, it's right there, and I might buy it. If it's right in front of you, you get tempted.

With wider aisles means less merchandise, and less brands as they have said in that show!! Again, I don't see that many people in the clothes section. Sure, there are some, but that's what nearly half the store (if there is not a major food section). In my opinion, taking away some clothes would be a smarter solution than taking away seasonal stuff. Food and Healthcare could be expanded though because that's where I see a lot of people when I'm in Wal-Mart.

#7 ·
Ours had 4 different tombstones two have those had the pictures in them.They had a box each of the witch with tray-skelly with tray and baseball vendor.They had 4 shelfs not full of light up pumpkins but no of the big ones.Even the treat isle was pitiful.No black spiders all neon.Not even a whole lot of costumes thank goodness we have the internet.

#9 ·
I am so disappointed in my Walmart too. They have nothing but a few costumes & TOT baskets/bags. I've gotten in the past some great animated items but have yet to see any. They usually start putting the Halloween stuff up right after 4th of July & didn't do anything until about 2 weeks ago. Very disappointing!

#11 ·
I just went to Wal-Mart last night as well. Not only am I very disapointed in their selection this year.....they jacked up the prices too!!! :eek:

I bought 4 packs of black cheezecloth and actually brought them back. It was the cheapest cheezecloth I have ever seen!! :mad: It was more like black netting!!!

Anyone care to send me some ACTUAL black cheeze cloth? ;)

#12 ·
Same where I live too, its the largest store in town and has the worst selection in town. First Spencers doesn't have any props and now Walmart is dropping the ball. I'm hoping maybe they'll get more selection in next week or the week after, very discouraging

#14 ·
Poor Selection At Walmart

Hi all I feel the same way, I live in Wichita Falls, Texas our stores 3 of them have no decorations, just candy and costumes, I wonder if they are trying to push the site to store, if you go to walmart.com they have some props that ships to the store, I sent a email to the walmart and complained about this, have not heard back more than likely will not.

#53 ·
Hi all I feel the same way, I live in Wichita Falls, Texas our stores 3 of them have no decorations, just candy and costumes, I wonder if they are trying to push the site to store, if you go to walmart.com they have some props that ships to the store, I sent a email to the walmart and complained about this, have not heard back more than likely will not.
I am also in Wichita Falls, the Wal-Marts are horrid this year.... At least there are plenty of cool things I want to build to keep my busy.

#15 ·
Last year I raided them on Nov 1st to get 50 percent off, but this year I was walking through wondering what (if anything) I would come here for on the day after! Target is on my hit list, but Walmart is now reduced to "on the way home if I need some milk that day".

I do like the male/female lenticular tombstones though. I picked them up, even though I'll probably see them on the 1st. They will need some serious beefing up, though, before next Halloween.

#16 ·
We have 4 Wally worlds now and they were all converted to Super Wal-Marts (we call them Stupor Walmarts around here) over the past two years. Now we are paying for it. Much higher prices, terrible selection and forget about Halloween stuff. And I thought they loved the business from China. Even Slams Club (same company) has a very limited selection with high prices.

#17 ·
Walmart is a bust this year, as is Kmart and, IMO Target. Very flat selection. I've been to three local Walmarts and won't be back to any of them. What they have out is what they'll have. It won't get any better as the weeks go on. Sad.

#18 ·
The Walmart in my town has basically what everyone else is reporting and my Walmart is a "Supercenter". I go down the road 10 miles to another Walmart Supercenter and while not laoded for bear they have tombstones galore at least 12 types. The ball park skeleton , the skeleton greeter and the witch greeter. Very strange... the ball park skeleton looked so good I bought him on the spot.

#20 ·
Our Walmart just finished its remodel...we hate it. They moved everything, put pharmacy health and beauty in a really stupid spot next to grocery, but more than that, they do not have the same selection that they did. In everything, not just halloween. I don't know what parasite infected the brains of their upper level vps, but it just plain sucks. We could go in, get around fine, find what we need and get out...now we don't know where anything is, the aisles are not conducive to getting around, particularly the butt-%&$%@^ STUPID way they did the pharmacy.

#21 ·
I keep on going back to Walmart hoping things will get better. I also live in Nd and there is no spirit, or any halloween only stores. Target, walmart kmart and kmart and target are way better. Our spencers well enough said. We have a party america I told the owner well you are the only game in town, other then buying a strand of lights at walmart-target or kmart this is where I will be, and they are not that great either, but it is all I got!!!!

#22 ·
I remember in past years going to Walmart to check out the Halloween stuff was something I really looked forward to. All the great stuff they had. One year I just started grabbing things to throw in my cart. One cool find after another. I went to Walmart after work tonight to get some things and wanted to look at the Halloween items. Costumes, costumes, and more costumes. That was pretty much it. I thought they sucked last year but this year they outdid themselves.

#23 ·
I was at another Walmart yesterday (9//24), and they had JUST RECEIVED some more Halloween stuff.

I noticed the boxes were large, so I went to look. It appears they are finally getting the props, foggers and such that I saw at some other stores.

I guess we all need to remember that it's not even October yet!

#24 ·
I keep checking our Wal-Mart, but I think I'm giving up, its just too depressing. They have quite a few boxes left to open, but really I can't imagine there is anything good in there. I was at Target yesterday (which I feel is sorely lacking this year, in quality and quantity) and they JUST finished putting up their sad, sad Halloween department, but low and behold they almost have more CHRISTMAS out than Halloween!!!! I'm really disgusted this year too. Normally I have so many things that I want to buy, this year I think the Dollar Tree has gotten most of my business. I feel like writing these companies, not that they care, and letting them know just how disheartening it has been. I wanted to spend some money on Halloween, but no one has anything worth buying.

#25 ·
I hate Wal-mart! They have nothing but my main complaint, and I know I can't be alone on this is:

Ok so you have a buggy full of groceries or whatever. you pull up to the conveyor belt to put your stuff on it to be checked out. As the cashier is scanning your stuff you are still unloading. Now the cashier is not loading your stuff into another empty buggy on the end. They are loading it onto the carosel and in the bags and in the floor and wherever. Then when you are finally done putting everything on the belt you have to go to the end and load your stuff into the buggy you just emptied. Not only can you not make sure that didn't overcharged you, it is a HUGE pain in the @$$.

So I ask them why don't you keep a spare buggy at the end load it and then my buggy becomes the next persons receiving buggy. "We've never done that" I argue they have.

I think that they do it so WE have to do all the work. Because here where I live All the walmarts make the customer put the stuff in the buggy. All they do is scan it and bag it. Which you can do yourself at the self check. Which I think is their plan.

So one day I am in a particularly bad mood. So I decide I am not going to load all of my stuff on the belt. I load a few things and then I wait for her to ring them up. I load a few more etc. The cashier gets so mad at me. She says "You have room for alot more" I say "I know but this is how I like to do it, that way I can watch the numbers" Finally it's just me handing it to her a piece at a time. Then I moved my buggy down and I would not load it. I just sorta goofed off with my wallet etc. She had to load it cause someone had loaded down the belt after me. To not make myself sound too mean I will say that this was my first shopping trip after having surgery and I was not supposed to lift too much. I hope they treat elderly better.

The store layout makes no sense and they just don't have very good merchandise anymore.

I think we all are so into Halloween that we notice when there are no items but does everyone else? How can there be such a need for Christmas stuff when it seems pretty much the same from year to year? I am disappointed in some way with most all stores this year as far as Halloween goes. What is with that brightly colored monster stuff that Target has? And the Halloweeny stuff they do have is more Royal themed. Home goods had alot. And our Spirit store wasn't too bad but other than that this year sucks.

#26 ·
I am in Central Florida and my kids in North Florida........all Walmart has is Costumes! No inflatables, no life size animations, nothing! Kmart had a little better selection, but no life size animations like they had last year!

The demand for this stuff seems to be great enough. I asked the cashier when the good Halloween stuff was going to be put out and she looked at me like I was crazy. She said "What do you mean? Everything was put out on Friday".

VERY disappointed in this years selection. We have a spirt store, but they are SO expensive! My greatest joy was going after Halloween and getting great items at 50-75% off for the following year. Doesn't look like this is going to happen anymore.

Our Walmarts are full of Christmas stuff........same old stuff year after year.

#27 ·
I just went into Wal-Mart, and they had 2 aisles of just candy, those black pumpkins with lights in them from last year, no cutouts I seen, no animatronics, and the rest were costumes.

I went into Wal-Mart, and than I went into Target after that. This wasn't too see the difference in the store, (really looking for a product at both of them) but just started looking at the both of them, and the new Wal-Mart seems like they want to copy off of huge aisles like Target is, and I think they are crazy for doing that. Target doesn't make as much as Wal-Mart does. Wal-Mart makes 3 times as much as Target does, but yet they are copying their competitors store in regards with nothing in the middle of the aisles.

In that special, they said that Wal-Mart was suffering because of people's opinions of the company, and that it wasn't clean enough. Some people believe that Wal-Mart should pay more money to workers, and yes I do agree that all retailers should pay more money, but people attack Wal-Mart because they are the number one store. That's how all the other retailers, and fast food places are giving their employees money. The thing they were saying why they were losing people is because Wal-Marts are evil, and because they have low prices, they eliminate the smaller businesses. The way I see it is this.

Wal-Mart has a selection of Toys, but it doesn't have the big selection that Toys R Us has, or it doesn't have the amount of trains that a Hobby shop might have. Also, clothes, there are so many places people can shop for clothes, and I don't see that many people shopping for clothes at Wal-Mart. People are picky in their clothes (I would think), and they don't just want anything. For food, who's to say that another store doesn't have the ads, and when stuff is on sale, it's cheaper than Wal-Mart?

People have the freedom of choice to go where they want. If they want to go to Toys R Us, a hobby shop, or a local bakery, let them go. However, you have other stores that are more centralized in products that might visit. Wal-Mart has hardly any hardware stuff compared to Ace, Lowe's, Menards, and Home Depot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.