Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

One prop I'm hoping to create this year is similar to Terra's tombstone peeper but along the lines of the Haunted Mansion where they peep straight up then back down behind the tombstone. I know some here already added this effect to their yardhaunts. Can anyone shed some light on how to incorporate a slow rpm motor into this effect?

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Check this link:

Mechanisms and Movement

Instead of using a pivot point (screw-eye) to guide the shaft, you'd need to set up a vertical guide to keep the shaft moving in a straight line. A two-piece linkage should do the trick. What will you be using to power the prop? Wiper motor or similar?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh that's perfect...thank you for that link! I haven't done much in the way of mechanical prop movements yet but this looks pretty straight forward.

I plan on using a rotisserie motor as I want a slower movement as apposed to a "pop-up"

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Otaku, While I've got you here...

Another of my planned effects will be a grave with a bell attached to a small pole which rings every few seconds. I'm thinking of also using a slow rpm motor attached to the string which will be fed through a tube and up from the grave in question. I'm hoping that if i measure the string just right to pull on the bell only when the crank is on the far side, then it should ring the bell only then?

I'd be interested in hearing any other thoughts you might have on this one?

BTW, I want to thank you for all the knowledge you've shared on this forum. It's invaluable to those who are just getting into automation!

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
What sort of bell is it? Is your idea to have the bell tilt to make it ring and how often do you want the ring to occur? I can see a couple ways to make this work.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah... not sure what kind of bell... other than your typical small 3-5" brass bell, maybe something along the lines of one of these:

View attachment 3901

I'm thinking of having it ring briefly every minute or so.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
So the bell will be yanked by a string. Hmmm...if the bell can pivot on a mount and the string is attached to a tab above the pivot point, then you could use a small motor that cycles every minute or so to ring the bell. This motor is wired to do a single revolution then return to a "home" position when triggered. To do the triggering, you'll need some sort of timing device that trips the motor when you want the bell to ring. A 555 astable timer is cheap and easy to build. How's your soldering skills?

MINI RIGHT ANGLE GEARHEAD MOTOR W/CONTROL CIRCUIT | AllElectronics.com

I like this idea - it reminds me of the old practice of running a cord into the deceased's coffin so that if they happened to be buried alive (!) they could ring a bell.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Otaku, While I've got you here...

Another of my planned effects will be a grave with a bell attached to a small pole which rings every few seconds. I'm thinking of also using a slow rpm motor attached to the string which will be fed through a tube and up from the grave in question. I'm hoping that if i measure the string just right to pull on the bell only when the crank is on the far side, then it should ring the bell only then?

I'd be interested in hearing any other thoughts you might have on this one?

BTW, I want to thank you for all the knowledge you've shared on this forum. It's invaluable to those who are just getting into automation!
that's funny I was thinking of the same exact idea..Great minds think alike!!

some of these movements might give you some more ideas:
YouTube - Robotic Drum Kit

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm... yes that looks like it might be the way! I will look at this method further, thank you again!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts