Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think i am going to ask a really stupid question now..........

As an english haunter, what do you guys and gals mean by vent motors? (i know what wiper motors are and i have several), but what, where can i find a vent motor?

can someone please post a picture or a link to one so i know what i should be looking for., where they can be found on a car (assuming it is a car part)

I have tried ebay uk and it has brought up some various results but nothing that seems to fit what you describe, or if there is they are quite expensive (equivalent of $120 upwards)

There is probably some US / UK language description that i am missing

otherwise please feel free to laugh at my stupid question

·
Registered
36 Posts
Vent motors are the little gear boxes that open and close your cars fresh air/ recirculate flap. They are 12 volt dc and 4-6 RPMs. Ill get you a picture shortly unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Oh, a race? I'm in.

Vent motor.jpg

These motors were very popular as prop motors when we used to be able to get them for less than $5 each. The supply eventually dried up and now they are out of our price range.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The technical term (here in the U.S. anyway) is a blend door actuator. They are expensive new. Used, either from ebay, a parts yard, or the UK equivalent of Craigslist is your best bet. The photos I've seen of them on a car shows them being up under the dash towards the center. I haven't actually got down on the floorboard and looked up to see if one can be seen without removing anything. I should go out and do that today.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot guys.
Had a look for car vent actuator and found them. Just needed the right word - I didn't know an actuator was a motor duh!

Anyway thanks again. I am going to invest in one and see how I get on. I have always wanted a strong slow rpm motor, as the wiper motors do not like to run as slow as I want.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just out of curiosity, have you tried running your wiper motor with a 5V power supply vs. a 12V? It really brings down the speed of the motor without sacrificing the torque.

·
cheap and easy
2,294 Posts
heresjohnny, do you have any pics or links for these motors you're talking about?
Johnny might be talking about a different motor but here's one. But before you buy any motors you need to think about what you are building. These motors are good for props like the Breathing Grave, turning a head back and forth, tombstone peeper, props that don't use a lot of torque.

You can get the motor as it's shown in the first picture off ebay for around $8 but it's shipped from China...10 to 21 days on delivery my price is higher (I pay more for it) but I can get it to you in 3 days max on a order of 4 or more. Four to six days on 1 to 3 motors that's mainly the west coast east of Texas it's usually 2-3 days

http://www.halloweenforum.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=15816

the picture is the TYC (4kg torque) but I also have the TDY (6kg torque) which is the exact motor used as the deer motor...$9.50 shipped

I also have this motor in a case with the power cord attached and sealed...$18.50 shipped

·
Registered
424 Posts
Some 3rpm I bought recently are no longer available

I have used several of these in FCG's, they are strong, run a little hot but so far no problems

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=&qty=1&item=5-1702

These are like whats in the deer motor, 5-6 RPM, 110 AC, and uncontrollable CW/CCW:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6RPM-Robust-Synchronous-Motor-TYD-50-AC110V-Torque-6Kgf-cm-4W-CW-CCW-NEW-/161094125355?
It matches the specs for what MadMax was selling, except he was selling the TYC. I am about to order a few of these myself.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
I get my synchronous motors for free. Just keep an eye out for people throwing away microwaves w/ a turntable, they are usually around 5-6 rpm. Nothing trumps free, 'cept maybe getting paid to take it. Like the latter ever happens... :D

Fair warning: Discharge those large capacitors immediately after taking the outer cover off the microwave. Lest you have a shocking experience that may end up being fatal.

I still have a few of the original haunters best friend, the TRW blend door actuators, left over from a couple years ago. But they're mine, mine, all mine! Mwuhahahaaaaaaaaa!!! ;) Seriously though, if you take the time, you can find that particular model in almost every model of Chrysler Corps. vehicles from the mid 90's, all the way up to the last gen Viper. They're located just behind the glove box door in most models. The local yards here apparently have no idea what they're worth new through the automotive parts industry, which is a total ripoff I might add, so you might be able to get a good deal on them. I wish I knew off hand how rare or prevalent Chrysler vehicles are in the U.K., but I'd imagine that's something you can gauge more accurately than I. :)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
These are like whats in the deer motor, 5-6 RPM, 110 AC, and uncontrollable CW/CCW:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-6RPM-Robust-Synchronous-Motor-TYD-50-AC110V-Torque-6Kgf-cm-4W-CW-CCW-NEW-/161094125355?
It matches the specs for what MadMax was selling, except he was selling the TYC. I am about to order a few of these myself.
I've bought several of those same motors from that same seller (except the ones I get have the threaded screw hole in the top of the shaft).
I highly recommend them and I usually have them show up about 7 or 8 days after ordering.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks again for everyones help and suggestions regarding the motors.

i did manage to get a vent motor off ebay, but to be honest i am less than impressed with it. i think i may have a specific model (froma renault clio) that is not entirely suited to what we want. it clicks a bit (maybe the gears are wearing) and then moves 1/4 turn at a time. i will probably find this useful in the future, but at the moment it has gone in the (now quite large) "stuff to sort if i have time before the big day" box.

for the record i have not tried a 5v supply on my wiper motors, but that is on the cards now. didn't think they would run without 12v. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I used 5 volts to run the wiper motor in my pirate ship wheel. It runs perfectly, with minimal loss of torque, and the speed is much slower.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I go on freecycle and get free microwaves from people. I rip out the stuff I need like the incredibly powerful donut magnets, synchronous motors, hardware, etc. These motors will replace the vent motor and are usually 2.5, 3 or 5 rpm

1 - 20 of 22 Posts