Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So over the past few days I have watched so many utube vids, read many tutorials, searched and went thru thread after thread in theforum. But I still do not know if a vent motor, like the breathing grave's, can be used in a FCG.

Being so mechanicaly (and physicaly) challenged, I am not able to do trial and error.

I dont know if the vent motor is strong enough.
I dont know how to attach the vent motor bolt (have it set according to daveingrave's breathing grave tutorial), to the device.
And it just might be my lack of knowledge, but I dont understand in the fcg tutorials how attaching a U bolt to the motor bolt, allows it to turn around.

I understand the time to halloween, but can anyone answer my questions or point me to a tutorial page that uses a vent motor?

Someone on the forum in 2010 made one like it, but I did not bookmark the thread and my searches for fcg comes up zero results.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Here is a link to what the inventor calls a Flying Lever Ghost: http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/105274-building-flying-lever-ghost.html

I like it because it is simpler and doesn't take up as much room as a FCG. The design calls for three motors but I recall some members using a single vent motor to run it. You might do a search and see if you can find some of them.

Is your vent motor one of the "new" motors or one of the originals? They both have little tricks for attaching a bolt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I made one with the vent motor and it works great. Im going to be putting it up in the next few days and when I do Ill get some pic for you.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
what trick is there to the new motors?
The new ones as they're called just use a bolt with a nut on it. On the other ones you have to thread the bolt into the plastic. Not too difficult but it can be a little frustrating trying to get it in straight. The electrical connections are also easier with the newer ones. And I imagine there are lots of variations on the two common motors that we haven't seen yet.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thanx for the info. Good to know we can use the vent motors.

Jerm357, would love to see some pics of how you hooked it up.

Screaming Demon: The Vent motor that we have are the ones in DaveInTheGrave's tutorial here http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/105127-black-vent-motor-tutorial-part-1-a.html we already have the wiring done and the bolt stuck in the motors.
I did read the FLG and it may be an option since I have a dozen of these vent motors sitting here.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I too have made a FCG with a vent motor. I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but I don't think the vent motor has enough uuummph to run a full size ghost. Now if the head and two arms weighed very close to the same as each other.... then maybe. On the ghost I built. I used a Walgreens ghoul and added the wire arms. I also use a 9volt battery to run it and it will run for 6-8 hours. It increasingly slows down over that time but it is totally portable. My crank arm is no longer than 3-4 inches. The ghost is just over a foot tall. I'll be watching this to see if bigger is possible..

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Looks good!
I'd say the vent motor has enough torque for an FCG, but my only concern would be how heavy the ghost is.
The vent motor would basically run upside down and I'm not sure how that weight will affect the motor shaft and gears as the crank is being pulled downward by the weight of the ghost on the crank arm.
It may work fine if your ghost is light enough.

I hope you have success with it!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanx Jerm357 ... I think I understand the easy prop now.
The long stick attached to the motor has the wires attached to the end of it, so as the stick moves around in circles the wires are pulled and pushed away.

Cant believe how simple that is but I just could not figure it out. Now that I see those pictures in closer detail, it looks so easy!

I will attempt it today. As for what ghost to use, I have a few hanging ghouls that have been purchased over the years, will see whats light. But if not, maybe just a wighead, coathangers and cheesecloth.

We also got 3 other wired-up motors ready to try the 3motor FLG as well, incase my props are not light enough for one motor.

Will get some pics up for you all soon, even tho you've seen so many better ones but finaly having a Eureka! moment, Im pretty excited about this prop.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well today I attempted the FCG. I do not have any of the washers to attach the wires too, so I used some small L brackets. I know its not correct but this weekend will go get proper washers.

But my question is... Without anything attached to the device/motor, the vent motor moves in a circle no problem. Once I attach a Styrofoam head and coat hanger arms, the motor starts, say 12 o clock, but by the time it hits 3 oclock, it stops.

Is this my power supply/wall wart, or do those washers really make a difference?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay. so I have tried another wallwart. This one is output of DC6V 350A and the old was a 4.5v 1000mA 4,5W. The DC6V took the motor all the way around and then the wires got tangled up and it stopped. So I am guessing the washers are very important and I'll put the cheesecloth on and let this project sit until I can get a ride to the hardware store.

But out of curiosity, for other projects I want to try with these vent motors (Uncle Fester is one I have all materials for), what size of power adapter should these vent motors use? I have so many in my junk box that are all different. Do you need higher V or higher mA or W ?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use a 12v 1a wallwart on mine.

Heres what I did with my other vent motor. I'll get another video with it with the tombstone once its set up.
Tombstone Peeker

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
For most of my vent motor props, I used a 12 volt DC, 500 milliamp adapter. The more milliamps you can get out of an adapter, the more power it will give your motor.
I wouldn't go lower than 12 volts, though. With less than 12 volts, the motor will run slower than it should.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since I have to wait for a ride to the hardware store, I decided to do the Grave Peeker.

Jerm357, I mimicked your video but the motor wont go all the way around. without the Top pole that the head sits on, it goes around fine. I have tried three different pole weights/styles. What am I missing.

Are any of the bolts/nuts tight or are they all loose or only one loose? I think that's what Im getting incorrect; not sure what should be snug tight or loose.

any suggestions?

I have found a 12v 2A supply from an old scanner. That should do it for either the FCG or the GravePeeker, correct?

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
cbhaunt

If you still want to make the FCG i made something you could use. Look at the below pictures and you can have everything but the vent motor (it's broke anyways. This should get you past the point that's got you stooped

All you will need to do is take the top nut off and put it through the opening in your vent motor and tighten it up. But like Dave in the grave said....try to find a 12v power supply with 400mas or up.....9vdc up should work if you don't get a 12vdc. The last picture is what I can send you. If you want this do you have paypal? First off it will be free (well 1 cent) but I can't afford to waste an hour going to the post office to ship. I will even pay the shipping cost but I will need to send you a paypal invoice for 1 cent so I can print shipping and get tracking through paypal

If you decide you want it PM me your email address and I will send you the 1 cent invoice

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since I have to wait for a ride to the hardware store, I decided to do the Grave Peeker.

Jerm357, I mimicked your video but the motor wont go all the way around. without the Top pole that the head sits on, it goes around fine. I have tried three different pole weights/styles. What am I missing.

Are any of the bolts/nuts tight or are they all loose or only one loose? I think that's what Im getting incorrect; not sure what should be snug tight or loose.

any suggestions?

I have found a 12v 2A supply from an old scanner. That should do it for either the FCG or the GravePeeker, correct?
The nut and bolt on mine are all loose. The bolt only has threads on the bottom half of the bolt, the top of the bolt that goes into the motor arm is smooth. The nut that you see in my video is over sized on the bolt and just slides on just to keep the spacing between the motor arm and the pole and I don't have any nut on the other side because it kept tightening up on me and locking it up.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts