Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have been talking about having a haunt and building props for a few years and I think its finally time to show you all what I have been working on.

First off, I have to thank Pumpkinrot, who first opened my eyes to what was possible for a Halloween display 3 years ago. His style immediately resinated with me and you will see his influence in my attempts to imitate some of his props, expressions, poses and overall elements.

Next, I need to specifically thank Terra, Mr. Chicken, and the people at Dark Rose Manor for teaching me the initial skills to bring my graveyard and groundbreakers to life.

Thanks to Skull and Bone for teaching me the intricacies of lighting, which I am still learning and perfecting. (Web archive http://web.archive.org/web/20160312225721/http://robertdbrown.com/team-concept-art-podcast/2015/9/24/halloween-and-haunt-lighting)

And lastly, thanks to all of you in this forum. You are my people. You have shown me what I can do to express my love for Halloween in a way that satisfies my creativity.

I wanted to start off with some quick progression shots, just to give context of how the haunt has grown in the past few years.

2016:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

I wasn’t able to do as much as I wanted/ planned with specific spot lighting this year due to major storms that rolled in before and after ToT time. I am honestly happy I was able to set up at all. The haunt is an ever growing work in progress and I know I am a far cry from the vast majority of you on this forum. I hope you enjoy my little corner of Halloween.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Very nice. I love seeing the progression of people's haunts. I look forward to seeing what new things you come up with and create.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,492 Posts
Really nice, and the progression is evident, right down to the jack o lantern faces, which are a bit more sinister this year. I like the texturing on the ground breakers and nice use of organic elements. You're definitely headed in the right direction.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Very well done. Your “Pumpkinrot” style skulls are surpurb! Is that paper mache that you used on them? And if so what did you use to waterproof them?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very well done. Your “Pumpkinrot” style skulls are surpurb! Is that paper mache that you used on them? And if so what did you use to waterproof them?
Thanks! Yes, they are paper mache. I use a 2 phase system. The base of my mache is exterior latex house paint. Once it dries, it is super durable. Then i spray them with a water proofing aerosol.
Link - that should work. Its connected to amazon smile, if it doesnt work I will find another link. It is good stuff. I use it on my boots and shoes too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now your haunt is powerful, haunting and beautiful. Love it!
Just saw this was from you Terra. Your videos helped me build, water proof, and upgrade my first foam tombstones. Your information helped make my creations look so good. I know they can get better with practice, but you showed me the way. Your tea staining method is so fun too!

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Just saw this was from you Terra. Your videos helped me build, water proof, and upgrade my first foam tombstones. Your information helped make my creations look so good. I know they can get better with practice, but you showed me the way. Your tea staining method is so fun too!
So glad to help you. Agreed that tea-staining make a gloriously fun mess, lol!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts