Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I want to add a different type of scarecrow called The Vengeful One to my yard this year. I've been thinking about this since Nov 1st last year so I have some ideas. But how would you construct the head (I can do the body--that's easy)? I'm especially wondering about the details of the teeth (esp HOW to make them-what type of media), the eyes, and how to construct the head/face. I won't share my ideas yet bc I don't want to limit ANY ideas!!!

Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
the "blotchy" teeth remind me of the effect that i get with some of my props that i've painted with black light reactive paints ...
similar to this

the mask was painted with a small artist type brush ... and by dabbing the brush you can put down more or less paint ... painting/dragging the brush will give you something similar, but it'll look more like brush marks ... i prefer dabbing as it yields a more "organic" look ... the mask here was done using the "dabbing method" ... i'm thinking the eyes in your photo might be air brushed on, as that gives a more uniform paint thickness and thus a more uniform "glow"

glow in the dark, fluorescent and neon paints work well under black light ... the head/face would be painted flat black

the above photo is overexposed so that you can see the mask and parts that weren't painted ... you'll also want to experiment with the intensity of the black light source so that you achieve the effect that you're looking for

amk

·
Registered
681 Posts
You could always take a couple round bowls the right size for a head and glue them together to create two separate sides. cut the eyes out of one and teeth on the other and then use a red and white light inside to give the effect. Paint them black so you only see the eyes and teeth. Thinking the effect would be great. Be sure to use a white led light for the teeth to make them whiter than a normal white bulb would give.

·
Super Moderator
5,812 Posts
the "blotchy" teeth remind me of the effect that i get with some of my props that i've painted with black light reactive paints ...
similar to this

the mask was painted with a small artist type brush ... and by dabbing the brush you can put down more or less paint ... painting/dragging the brush will give you something similar, but it'll look more like brush marks ... i prefer dabbing as it yields a more "organic" look ... the mask here was done using the "dabbing method" ... i'm thinking the eyes in your photo might be air brushed on, as that gives a more uniform paint thickness and thus a more uniform "glow"

glow in the dark, fluorescent and neon paints work well under black light ... the head/face would be painted flat black

the above photo is overexposed so that you can see the mask and parts that weren't painted ... you'll also want to experiment with the intensity of the black light source so that you achieve the effect that you're looking for

amk
I'll second going with a blacklight reactive paint for the teeth. I use Wildfire, and their "white" is actually a little translucent, and will pick up some color from underneath.

To get a more white look you'd want a white base layer first.

The eyes, however, I'd do pumpkin style, with a hollow head, cutout eyes, and a red lightbulb inside.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THANKS GUYS!!! I love the black light idea and never thought about it before!!!!

I'll have to start working on this now to get it right. Any suggestions for a 100% black light paint NOOB?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm thinking the eyes in your photo might be air brushed on, as that gives a more uniform paint thickness and thus a more uniform "glow"...fluorescent and neon paints work well under black light ... the head/face would be painted flat black amk
Thank you Annamarykahn!! Ahhhhh...have wanted an air brush for ages. What type would you recommend? I don't want to spend $100s of dollars on something that will be used so little. Are their any inexpensive but reliable options for the hobbyist? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,812 Posts
THANKS GUYS!!! I love the black light idea and never thought about it before!!!!

I'll have to start working on this now to get it right. Any suggestions for a 100% black light paint NOOB?
Start with black, paint and mix your colors under a blacklight.

Terra has a tutorial on how to do the screens that would be worth a read, I'll go find it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
Thank you Annamarykahn!! Ahhhhh...have wanted an air brush for ages. What type would you recommend? I don't want to spend $100s of dollars on something that will be used so little. Are their any inexpensive but reliable options for the hobbyist? Thanks!
are you familiar with allen hopps ... click here => https://www.youtube.com/user/StiltbeastStudios/videos for his youtube videos ...

i'm a huge fan of his and have purchased several of the cheap harbor freight airbrushes that he likes ... only $9.99 :) image_13800.jpg ... excellent for most of the stuff you'll be doing for halloween ... the air compressor is the expensive part ... i personally would purchase an air compressor that you can use for home "renovations" as well as air brushing ... something like this 885911012256lg.jpg you can occasionally find on sale for $99

amk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMK,

You rock!!! Thank you so much!!! You are SO helpful!!!

One more question for now (more to follow later I'm sure!)-- which brand of paints do you choose to use? :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UGH......if I get a compressor and air brushes and paints............

What have you people started????? :D:):cool::p

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
UGH......if I get a compressor and air brushes and paints............

What have you people started????? :D:):cool::p
well, we all owe stock in paint and compressor companies :) lol ... we can't sell drugs so we "push" paints :)

start small ... evolve over time ... keep getting more stuff every year ... unless i see something that i think will be gone, i wait and "load up" on the after halloween sales

amk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts