Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to make a couple foamboard coffins for our cemetery, and I was thinking about storage. I was wondering if it might be possible to assemble the coffins with that thick velcro that comes in rolls, rather than duct tape or whatever. I was thinking that then all the pieces would just pull apart so everything could be stored flat.

Anyone know if that would create a sturdy enough joint to hold it together on the lawn? Has anyone tried that before?

If not, how do you store your coffins in the off season?

Thanks for any advice... :)

Jamie

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
Sounds like a good idea if you can get the velcro to stick to the foamboard, cause the peel n stick adhesive on the back of the velcro probably won't hold. Liquid Nails or Gorilla Glue might, however, do the trick. Let us all know how it works.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We'll see then - I'll try it, and just see if I can get the velcro stuck first. I guess that would be the hard part...

Hopefully I'll get to try it this weekend - it may snow, but hopefully that will just turn out to be rumour instead, and I'll be able to work outside. I'll report back when I get it figured out.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
That's how this coffin I got from Spirit a couple of years ago is put together. It dis-assembles for storage in it's box. I think a blind person must have stuck on the velcro because half of them don't line up with each other. LOL

·
Registered
316 Posts
That's how this coffin I got from Spirit a couple of years ago is put together. It dis-assembles for storage in it's box. I think a blind person must have stuck on the velcro because half of them don't line up with each other. LOL

This coffin is EXACTLY where I first heard of the velcro'ed coffins...so it has been done, but I agree with previous posts, use GORILLA GLUE or any other strong adhesive to get the roll type velcro to stick to the foam...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depending on how thick your foam is, you could piece the sides together using dowels. All the foam pieces and dowels could be stored flat. I've put together many children's toys that are connected this way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the extra comments! The only question I have now is, did you put that coffin outside, and did it hold up in the wind (ie, did the velcro joints hold up okay)? That's really all I'm worried about...I'll secure it to the ground with stakes, but I want to make sure that the sides aren't going to just blow off or something in the wind...

We have plenty of gorilla glue on hand, and probably some liquid nails too, so getting it to stick shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It's supposed to start snowing today, with a 100% chance of snow all weekend. *sigh* I don't really have room to work on this project inside (since all of our other decorations are strewn about), so hopefully next weekend the weather will be better for making props. I have until the 25th to get them done...otherwise I may have to forgo it for this year. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts