Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two year's, we have created a graveyard scene in our yard, but this year we are going to create the Vampire's Lair - basically a haunted house with a vampire theme. Since I have never done a haunted house before, does anyone have any good, simple but scary suggestions that I could include? I'm pretty good at creating effects and props, as long as they don't require electrical wiring. So far what I have planned is to created spooky hallways with rats, haunted portraits on the walls, lots of spider webs. Every once in a with the halls will open into a small room - one will be a dungeon and another the vampire's lair. I have a skeleton that will be chained to the wall of the dungeon, and of course, a coffin, vampire, bats, etc in the lair. I also plan to use compressed air and silly string for sudden and unexpected surprises as the TOTers go through the "house". I would love to read your ideas and suggestions to help perpetuate this year's theme!

·
DEAD inside
1,237 Posts
At Universal, last year in the Dracula house, they had a hallway made of curtains that Vampire brides would come out at you very nice effect! They also used a thunder and lightning effect and when the light flashed she would open the curtain and hiss. They were standing a couple of feet higher so they would look like they were outside of a window trying to get in.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
I always thought a blood reserve would be a good idea for dry times... like a victim kept alive and siphoned into bags or bottles. Lot's of tubing running around with fluids moving through them not just for the blood, but for the nutrients and excrement of the "cow".

(yeah twisted I know LOL)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Vampire brides are a good idea, Noahbody. I have never done the theme myself yet, but I think a coffin with a vampire in it (prop or scareactor) is a good start. Make the scenery look lavish and gothic or gothic and decrepit (sp?) depending on your style and budget. Bats are a must have! Rats are good. Silly string is fun. I used it in my cave haunt coming from under my giant tarantula. Let me tell you that is one thing that ALWAYS catches them off guard!

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
A sign at the door with "Enter freely...."

Wolf howls!

Have visitors exit into a well-lit room that looks like it is sun-lit, with dust on the floor like it has done in the vampire tenant.

In one of the props forums here there's a discussion of how to create mirrors that don't reflect the image of a vampire that might be useful.

If you're going to use actors, maybe you could have a vampire hunter running around the hallways asking whether people have sighted the vampire, warning them to be careful, etc.

Perhaps a feast table with martini glasses full of "blood", and the table set for the tastes of undead guests

·
Witch Of The West Coast
1,752 Posts
They had a Vampire lair at the Queen Mary and they had a long hallway with black fabric or plastic walls. Its hard to explain but there were toe pinchers standing up all along this dark hallway. They were probably made of styrofoam or something anyway, Some of them had solid, dark backs but for others, the backs were the plastic or fabric with a slit cut in it for "Vampires" to poke their heads, arms etc through. In the dark they all looked the same so you never knew when someone was going to be jumping out to scare you.. Sorry if this makes no sense at all.. lol

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Shebear, do not overlook MUSIC in the haunt. You'll find that a different soundtrack for each scene really is the icing on the cake. And you can have fun, too. This year, for instance, we're using Thomas Dolby's "She Blinded Me With Science" for the Mad Scientist's Lab.

·
jester girl
18,185 Posts
noah, i like your idea of the vampire outside the window look, i might use that one year.
blue frog, do you know exactly where to find the no reflection mirror. awesome
terra, the red lighting would work very well in a vampire setting. i like that

i had a vampire room one year. i had a bunch of clothes stuffed like a person on the floor. we gave it a mannequin head of a guy scared stiff. then my daughter dressed as a vampire was crouched over it like she was drinking it's blood. when the tot looked through the doorway she looked up at them, [blood running down her face] then twisted the mannequins head off, threw it to the side, stood up very menancingly, stepped over the body and flew at the tot's. we had put up a plastic sheet in the doorway between her and the tot that she would slam into. [we watched 13 ghosts and got the look of glass idea from there.] scared the crap out of everyone

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fabulous ideas, guys! I especially love the idea of the vampire brides and having a vampire killer going around warning people. I had already come up with idea of ending the haunt with a brightly lit exit and having ash scattered on the ground. I am also building a blood fountain out of an old bird bath that will be running red. Thanks for the help, and if you think of anything else, let me know!

·
Registered
374 Posts
How about at the exit, a flat outfit laid on the ground with the ash coming out like hands, feet and a flat head with a wig sprawled out. Maybe a wooden stake in it's back. You could make fake ash with shredded paper and glue so it would not blow away, spray paint it flat grey with a little white for accent.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Love the idea of the body of ash, NeverGoBack! I will definitely incorporate that in my scheme this year. Thanks!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
For something small, you could make a vampire bar serving different blood types as the beverages. Or just have bottles around that say type a, b, o positive...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts