Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since getting my first set of stormtrooper armor, I have been wanting to make a vac table.

I pulled out my old book on moulding.
it has a rather involved tutorial complete with making your own heating coils and making a very large frame for eveything.

dont really think I need to get that involved. I remember seeing stipped down versions.
I was thinking of this type of build"

http://www.widgetworksunlimited.com/24_x24_Hobby_Vacuum_Former_p/vf-24x24-vac_former.htm

I was considering using the home oven at least until I get something to come out. then look into a separate heating unit. but one that doesnt require me winding my own coils.
anyone have a source for this type of thing?

In the book I mentioned, they talk about welding an aluminum frame to hold the plastic.
dont really have any welding skills.

are there alternatives to this??

any recomendations for a simpler build.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats a good one. thanks for pointing it out.
a little unorthodox , having one hole with the screen.
Make things even simpler.

My first impression was to go with the many holes.
But I guess, I could try this.
if it didnt work I would need that piece anyway to go on the bottom of the piece with all the holes.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cant find it now.
but last night I saw a frame for the plastic made of U channel aluminum. it was cut and bent into shape.
I thought it was in the link above . but now I cant find it.
maybe in one of the many pages I had open last night I didnt save.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
regarding the "L" brackets of the frame. is that in addition to or replacing the "internal" brackets?
I am currently trying to source metal internal brackets.

I may give the aluminum U bar trick a try.

did you make a "oven" to heat the plastic?

not sure how bad the fumes will be...but was going to test the former with the kitchen oven before going down that road.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got around to making and testing the simplified version that halstaff posted a link for.

maybe I used the wrong weatherproofing to make the seal from. cause my metal frame stuck to it. making it difficult to remove. afterwards I found a tiny bit of the weatherproofing on the frame.

is this normal? should the weatherproofing material be replaced after each use?

also a bit of webbing in a couple places. off to research that now.

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
No, it shouldn't have to be replaced with each use. I probably replace it every 50, though, as it does compress over time. Perhaps you melted the weather proofing to the frame a little.

To eliminate webbing, try just having the plastic sag less before taking it off the heat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts