Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am having a problem with a uv light effect. Usually i am getting a nice glow. But now i have almost no ilumiation from the bulb. The bulb i am using is very good, when i test it on other surfaces. But for this application i am using it inside a tree prop. The inside has a black base coat of latex paint. I am thinking the black paint is the problem. No reflection of light. What do you think?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,828 Posts
If it is a good bulb that makes things OUTSIDE the tree prop glow then yes, likely would be questioning what your purpose is for placing it inside a prop where it can't illuminate anything that is blacklight reactive? If you just want a purple light, there are lots of other options rather than using a UV reactive/blacklight bulb. (also, be aware if you're using any bulbs that get hot that they shouldn't be enclosed within a flammable prop!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Sorry i was a bit unclear. I did a base coat of black. Then a huge amount of uv paint over the black base. It is a very big prop. No real danger for heat. I was thinking would it make a difference if i would do a white base coat and then uv paint?

I added a picture.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,828 Posts
Oh that is really awesome looking!

I don't know that I'd even try to use a blacklight/UV inside that - it would look so cool with ANY bright light coming out - even one of those swirly color LEDs. Could even put a small fogger inside and a light and would look possessed!

But yeah, having a base coating of black and then putting basic UV reactive paint over that likely is the issue if you were wanting the insides to GLOW. You'd need the really $$$ paints like Wildfire to get anything decent on a dark background I believe.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh that is really awesome looking!

I don't know that I'd even try to use a blacklight/UV inside that - it would look so cool with ANY bright light coming out - even one of those swirly color LEDs. Could even put a small fogger inside and a light and would look possessed!

But yeah, having a base coating of black and then putting basic UV reactive paint over that likely is the issue if you were wanting the insides to GLOW. You'd need the really $$$ paints like Wildfire to get anything decent on a dark background I believe.
Hi,

Yes maybe i should go for a regular light. In my mind it was so cool with the uv light. But theory and practice is not always the same:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts