Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use fog in a couple of my new props, including my electric chair, but I want to use it sort of "on demand". In other words, the electric chair will be activated using a prop cotroller/timer. So when the prop is activated I want the fogger to activate but then stop when the prop stops. Anybody know how to do this or have a "how to" tutorial? Most fog machines have cotrollers with the simple "Manual" button and the other timers have the "timed" functions, but I only want it to shoot fog when the prop is activated. Thanks!

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
you could accomplish this with prop1 (or if you need more memory prop2) or a dmx. although you need to make sure your fog machine is compatible with dmx or it will send electricity to the dmx which, as terra has informed us, is bad.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/70795-dmx-vampire-coffin-mib.html that's the link to terra's thread where she used the dmx to control a fog machine in her coffin.

the controllers can be a bit pricey though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you could accomplish this with prop1 (or if you need more memory prop2) or a dmx. although you need to make sure your fog machine is compatible with dmx or it will send electricity to the dmx which, as terra has informed us, is bad.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/70795-dmx-vampire-coffin-mib.html that's the link to terra's thread where she used the dmx to control a fog machine in her coffin.

the controllers can be a bit pricey though.
HOLY CRAP! Just checked out that thread, that is awesome!! Of course now I have to add that prop to my "to do" list. :rolleyes: But I guess if I can do that and figure out the DMX controller and everything I can apply it to my Electric Chair as well. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can hack one of the manual switches to be used with any type of relay control. Just tear the switch apart and find the contacts that get closed when the switch is actuated and then acuate them with the "relay" output of your controller.
Ummm :confused: That was way over my head... lol Im new to the whole automated part of prop contol and hacking. Any idea on where to start to learn about what you just said? :eek:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well, you need to know very basic electronics (soldering and using a multimeter, pretty much) and you need to understand how some controllers work (Such as the Cowlacious PET, or the Prop-1).

Basically, that manual switch you press on your fog machine to activate it, all that does, essentially, is touch a few wires together, completing a circuit and telling the machine to MAKE FOG NOW!

All you need to do with the controller/relay is make those circuit connections automatically when something happens (trigger input, motion sensor, etc.) or when you tell it to with a repeating program.

Make any more sense yet?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
eanderso13: Thanks again for the help and explanation! I know your basic electrical stuff like you mentioned and Ive hacked a couple things but when you start throwing in relays and controllers and such, my head wants to explode. :( Im going to read up on some things and hopefully I will be able to figure it out. Thanks again!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here's how my walmart SKULL fogger was wired up and how to tap into the controller
http://grimlabs.com/halloween/halloweenfiles/fogtimer/fogwire2.gif

This was drawn up a few years ago for AZspecter who wanted to run a relay off his fog controller but, if your electrical, you can seen how it all goes together and what you would need to do to automatically fog putting a relay parallel with the fog button of the controller

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kenpilot ....whew wee....
my head is spinning.
good luck !
LOL yeah you and me both. ;) I think I'm going to try out the DMX route since I'm going to attempt the MIB using DMX. If I can figure that out I'm sure it won't be too hard to just add another routine for another prop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts