Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,609 Posts
:) You'll have to be patient. Some day she'll grow out of it. At this point, my husband is onto me... I keep buying Little Tikes stuff for our four year old and he says 'You just really want to use that in the display." LOL
No, I mean your re-design, not the original. (she's already a haunter)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I am a big fan of Krylon Fusion for plastic spray paints, and use their spray primer as well. Neither my friend Hermey nor I have had any problems with paint coming off. Except ~ unfortunately, they do seem to scratch pretty easy. I try to be more careful with storing them, like throwing an old blanket over them and not putting items on them that will scratch too bad. (I'll pile foam pumpkins on top of them before I would pile pieces of wood.) Even with that one downside, I think they are still worth it.
I've never had much luck with that paint but will give it another try AND I spotted a pile of everything from the cars to a playhouse today in a trash pile next to someone's apartment. Can't hurt to ask I guess. I almost committed a theft today at the grocery when I spotted one of those shopping carts with the kiddie car attached. There is even a perfect spot on the roof to paint "TAXI" across it ;)

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
For preparing stubborn paint surfaces, real TSP (not TSP substitute) is the go-to for completely cleaning off a surface. The TSP itself needs to be rinsed off well, and it's also a bit toxic. It is, however, pretty much the only thing that works without using a million paper towels for surfaces contaminated by really bad things like silicone.

Pre-emptive apologies if this is someone actually on the forum. :rolleyes:

Last year I saw on some Christmas building show a family (I think it was Granddad and Granddaughters) building a gingerbread house. I don't know what kind of paint they used (tempera?!) but it came right off in the rain overnight. Worse, they had used real cookies and gumdrops on the side, which the wildlife promptly ate the moment they looked away.

The next morning they were baking more cookies and repainting it with the same paint...

I think plastic is probably the best solution in the long run :D

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Xane,

Thanks for the suggestion of that cleaner ~ I've never heard of it before, but I see it's available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I'll have to keep that in mind for really ugly projects.

I saw that exact episode you described!! I wondered about the 'real candy' on the house. I think they obviously knew they were making a one-time use prop, and seemed to be under an extraordinary small timeframe to get it done . LOLOL Eh... the little girls looked like they had a good time even with the racoons taking off with their 'decorations'.

Thanks for your input. :)

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I've never had much luck with that paint but will give it another try AND I spotted a pile of everything from the cars to a playhouse today in a trash pile next to someone's apartment. Can't hurt to ask I guess. I almost committed a theft today at the grocery when I spotted one of those shopping carts with the kiddie car attached. There is even a perfect spot on the roof to paint "TAXI" across it ;)
It's funny how we all have different preferences in the spray paints. I've just had pretty good experiences with the Krylon ~ only one or two disasters. Sorry to hear you had problems.

Oh I'd be thrilled to come across a playhouse out for the trash. That's the beauty of decorating for Halloween ~ a torn up ole playhouse could make a very convincing haunted house.

Oh... and try not to get arrested. ;)

F

·
0 Posts
Well I wont spoil what I am creating over here for this years big suprise scene but I will say I took boring Little Tykes chairs and amped them up for the scene! Heres the before and after. Now you just got to wonder what I am up to over here :)

Here they are in a big lot of molds I scored this month for Christmas

Here they are new and improved minus some edging work I need to finish:

Oh and I think the twins will love these when I am done with them :)

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Those are cute Gris! Last weekend I opened the door to a playhouse in my mom's backyard that we built back in the early 80's and was surprised to see all the cool toys we closed up in there. I spotted the cabbage patch kids barrel shaped table/chairs I had bought for the girls I babysat back then and the game monstermash WAY back in a corner. The heat has been horrible here and I can't wait to finally get a break to go on a hunt :)

F

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Deadna it sounds like you found your own Time capsule. That is pretty darn cool.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I picked up an old Little Tykes play car with a broken front wheel for $2 at a tag sale. I used it for my Killer Clown car:

Eric

F

·
0 Posts
Wolfbeard that looks like it was meant for him!!!

Got another fun one I made for the display this weekend. Its simple just a Wheel Barrow that needed new life and a little Spooky love. Oh I have plans for this little Barrow.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Wolfbeard that looks like it was meant for him!!!

Got another fun one I made for the display this weekend. Its simple just a Wheel Barrow that needed new life and a little Spooky love. Oh I have plans for this little Barrow.

Oh I could scream! Those are more toys I had in my backyard up until a couple months ago :( Not only that but I somehow managed to get the 3 little kids back too when I thought I was done with babysitting..............

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
Hilda always love seeing your work!!! You always have a vision when you see something.......love that!

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
We finally broke down and got one of those crazy latex monster babies that have become so popular the past few seasons. Of course I had to do something to give it that personal 'Lighthearted' touch!! He'll be joining his mommy and daddy in the Monster Party scene next month.

006.jpg

Of course our new baby needed a custom ride! So we pimped up a pink Little Tikes toy stroller that had been given to us. Here's the Coffin Stroller makeover ~ Gorgeous blood red interior. Complete with spiderweb spinners (wink) and polished brass pall bearer handles. Of course there must be a bat hood ornament.

Sooooo.... who wants to take my baby for a stroll to the park?!?!?! hahahahaha

001.jpg 002.jpg 007.jpg

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Hilda, Your baby vampire in the coffin stroller is my favorite so far! So very clever adding the coffin handles, and the red interior. The whole thing is just great!

21 - 40 of 83 Posts