Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm having a brain fart and just can't seem to get this working:

I've taken a DVD player and soldered two wires onto the play button's back terminals - one wire per terminal. When I touch the bared other ends of the wires together, the DVD player will play or pause - I can either just tap them to play'pause or hold them together and it will play, separate them, hold them together again, and it will pause - exactly what I want it to do.

So next, I hooked up those two wires to a relay ( on on the 'out' part of the relay - terminal #3 and 4 - see below image) and took two more wires and, from the 'in' side of the relay (#1 and 2 terminals), led them to my Boobox Flex output C and #1. In theory, I thought this should allow the BB to control the opening and closing of the wire attached to the DVD player, but it doesn't seem to be working. I should mention that I am running the BB on a 24VDC power supply.

I -think- my issues likes in the 'in' side of the relay, as it's rated for 3-32VDC, but overall, I'm just burned out and can't get a grasp on what is -really- going wrong here. Really, all I need to have happen is for a relay (I assume) to close and open a connection. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks everyone!!

Technology Electronic component Font Electronic device Electronics

·
Registered
634 Posts
It looks like you're using a solid state relay and if I remember correctly there is a voltage drop across the terminals. If there is, then this may be what's causing the problem. You might want to try a mechanical relay and that should work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like you're using a solid state relay and if I remember correctly there is a voltage drop across the terminals. If there is, then this may be what's causing the problem. You might want to try a mechanical relay and that should work.
Awesome. I'll give that a try - thanks Chewbacca!

·
Registered
401 Posts
The side that you're attaching the DVD wires to needs to have power to drive the circuit within the solid state relay on the output side. See the schematic below for that relay you're using.

It looks like it needs power for the other side, which is why you're not seemingly getting a closure of a circuit like you're expecting with a mechanical relay where a contact switch is thrown and whatever is connected (common to normally open is now connected).

The input and output sides are isolated and it appears the output is optically triggered.

Text Font Line Parallel Diagram

Switching to a simple mechanical relay will easily solve this for you. As Chewbacca was saying, you'll have a minimal amount of current and voltage loss that's needed to typically close a relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Evileye - not only does that expand on what Chewbacca said but also my knowledge of relays in general.

I'll switch of a mechanical relay as you both suggested. Do either of you have a 'standard' relay you like to use for things like this? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
G'day from Australia. First time here. I think that you have wired your relay back to front. Your DVD switch should be wired to terminals 1 and 2. The power signal should go to 3 and 4. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
354 Posts
SPST is just a basic on/off switch; where as a SPDT has both a normally open and a normally closed connection. As an example of what to do with that, light A is hooked up to the normally closed circuit of the relay and Light B is hooked up to the normally open circuit. When the relay is turned off, light A is on; then when the relay is turned on, Light A turns off, and Light B comes on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right - got that - so why would you use a DT for the 'play' button on a DVD player. I think I might be missing something, but I'm thinking that the 'play' button is 'on' when depressed and 'off' when let go of, so wouldn't that be a simple on/off switch?

·
Registered
354 Posts
In your case with the DVD player and using the SPDT relay, you'd likely just hook the play button's contacts up to the Normally Open contacts and ignore the normally closed contacts; it'll work without problems that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts