Halloween Forum banner

Using a Latex Mask for Head in Props

Static: 
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  armor78154 
#1 ·
Has anyone figured out an effective way to use a latex Halloween mask in their props. I am looking at creating a Trash Can popper prop for next year, but rather than try and make the head, I want to use a mask over either a styrofoam form or something else so that I can really make the head stand out. There are some great clown masks over at Fright Catalog that would be great for this kind of prop.

I am just looking for something that is sturdy, allows the mask to be glued or something similar to the head, and won't destroy the mask in the process.

#3 ·
I used a full-head gorilla mask to make my Simian Salad container. I slipped it over an empty 1-gallon paint can and filled the space between the two with GreatStuff (shot through his nostril). I then cut off the top of the mask and added some red corpsing. It worked great and has lasted for many years.

#4 ·
I've used a foam wig head in a couple of mine and they work fine. If it fits a bit loose, a couple of finishing nails at the hair line, inserted through the mask into the head holds it secure.

#7 ·
LV Scott T...that Gorilla bowl is AWESOME! Not only does it look great, but the story of shoving great stuff up its nose sounds great too.
Thanks! Another benefit of using the paint can is that, with a little padding, a 3-litre bottle fits inside of it perfectly, making for a removable lining (for washing).

#6 ·
I saw one guy post - I can't remeber where or when -

He just turned the mask upside down and filled the top of the head with great stuff, after that dried he duct taped a PVC pipe to it so that it stuck out the neck, and added LED lighted ping pong ball eyes and then filled it completly with great stuff.

It looked pretty good when he was done.

FYI - if you in a dry climate (Like Colorado) spritz some water in before you spray in the great stuff, it will help it set up.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the great replies to my question. I do like the idea of the Great Stuff to fill in all the loose spots. I was wondering if using a foam head in combination with the great stuff would be the best route. Having used Great Stuff before, I know it compresses some unless you let it start to set up and then add more foam. I just am afraid that if I keep squirting foam into the mask without a solid core, it will stick to the mask on the first application and never set up correctly.

I think if you had the neck attached to the foam head, and then find a way to attach the mask to the head...most probably the nails or something along those lines applied to the top of the head, then it would come out pretty good.

Please feel free to correct me on my assumptions. I am really looking forward to moving beyond my Pumpkin Scarecrow prop for next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.