Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and his friend did something this year that was different, and risky, but apparently worked very well. They told me on Friday that they had posted pictures of the house and our address on craigslist, along with an invitation to come check out the haunt, on Wednesday morning. I didn't know they had done that, and if I had I would have been a LOT more security conscious about all the props we had in the yard, but by then it was too late for me to worry and nothing had gone missing or been messed with so it was all good.

Friday night, the local neighborhood kids started coming through about 7:00, and most of them were through by about 8:00, but then we started getting people driving up to the house, stopping, and emptying out a bunch of kids. I thought they were people from other streets in the neighborhood, but I saw the kids weren't going to anyone else's house. They would go through our haunt, get back in the car, and leave, which was kinda odd.

At one point we had the whole street lined on both sides with cars and the kids were lined up waiting to go through, along with a lot of adults who had driven up, and I was pretty surprised until one couple came up to ask if they could take pictures with our Creeper figure and they said they had driven all the way from the beaches, which is about 40 miles away, to see the Creeper. When I asked how they knew about him, they said they saw a picture of him on craigslist. Aha! I started mingling with some of the other folks who were there, and it turned out many of them had seen the pics of the house on craigslist and showed them to their kids, and once they had finished TOT locally they jumped in their cars and drove over here to see our house. We had a pretty steady wave of these folks coming through until a little after 9:30, which made for a busy buy enjoyable night.

I wouldn't have thought a craigslist ad would drive traffic to the house, but it did. I would have liked to have known about the ad going up when it did, instead of two days later, but in the end it worked out very well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I thought about doing this but changed my mind and just put signs on the closest main street. That upped my TOT count from 60-80 to around 200 and I was happy with that number. I was afraid If I put it on Craigslist I would be overwhelmed and wouldn't have enough candy. I'm happy with 200. I would have listed it under events or activities if I had.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good to know.
Do you know under which category they posted the ad or which keywords they used?
More advertisement in a variety of sources is always a good thing.

Congrats on a successful Halloween!
They put in the Free Stuff section and called it Free Haunted House.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Very cool idea I had heard about trying this but was not sure, we still had groups of people from the westside and northside come to our cemetery because of last year and the year before, way to go Bruzilla.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This could be very dangerous. It is well known that Craig's List is full of scammers, criminals, and other nefarious characters. You could be setting yourself up for something else. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts