Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i need some help for this year i need a USB to kit74 that all will work with VSA to run my pumpkin light show.

So if anyone is running there kit74 with there laptop from USB can you please supply a link to the cable i need? i use my old pc last year using the parallel port but all i have now is my laptop with no parallel.

here is the kit i have
Kit 74 - PC Printer Port Relay Board

so i need a cable USB to parallel to run my kit74 any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry , but it will NOT work . You can check the threads over on DIYC about this subject . The KIT 74 needs parallel .. nothing else will kick it off right . Also , the parallel can not go any kind of distance either . The PC has to be relatively close to the KIT74 ( I believe around 25 feet or less ).Now , is there any reason why you can not run the parallel connection as intended for the KIT74 you have ? You could always keep the clickity close to the PC and simply run extensions cords out to your apps .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes my regular PC died so this year all i have is my laptop with no parallel port ( i use wireless printer) soooo i was thinking a usb to parallel or is there another board that can run a 8 light setup? that is usb friendly?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sorry , but it will NOT work . You can check the threads over on DIYC about this subject . The KIT 74 needs parallel .. nothing else will kick it off right . Also , the parallel can not go any kind of distance either . The PC has to be relatively close to the KIT74 ( I believe around 25 feet or less ).Now , is there any reason why you can not run the parallel connection as intended for the KIT74 you have ? You could always keep the clickity close to the PC and simply run extensions cords out to your apps .
Hmm i am not an expert and have not used this kit yet.. but it would seem that it should work with a usb/parrallel adapter since in most instances it changes the usb port to emulate a parallel port. So i would assume that the kit's software runs via lpt port on the PC. If that is the case i do not knwo what woudl make a difference between a real LPT and a logical one. I know we use USB/serial interfaces that are "Supposed" to run com port only. hey what do i know. Like i said i have never used one of those kits yet. Want to but do not have one yet.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't waste your money. A normal USB to parallel converter will NOT work!!! USB to parallel port converters do not create your standard addressed LPT port as a physical port does.

I know of one USB to Parallel converter that does create an LPT port, but VSA currently does not support it.

One thing you can do is see if there is a docking station for your laptop. These will typically give you a parallel port, serial port, etc...

·
Registered
179 Posts
If anyone finds one that will work, post it here!

I am running a Kit74 for my singing pumpkins off an old PC and it is cumbersome to move everything. I also have an old NEC Versa laptop with a parallel port, but unfortunately, it doesn't have the processor power to run the Vixen sequence.

A laptop usb-parallel connection would be great!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
SirWild,
I've got two possible solutions (although, might be more than you're looking for).

I make a DMX-controlled board that controls servos, LEDs (dimmers), and digital outputs. The digital outputs could be mated to a kit74 to control all 8 relays. In order to make this work, you'd also need a USB-to-DMX adaptor. For just toggling relays on and off, this might be overkill. But if you're planning on expanding your haunt, a lot of haunters go the DMX route. With the Medusa (my board) you could control servos and strings of LEDs. And the DMX chain would allow you to use controllable strobes, AC dimmers, controllable smoke machines, etc.

SSC32 outputs can also be run as digital outputs (instead of servo outputs). These could be used to switch your relays, although the kit74 might have to be modified slightly to make it work reliably. (lower the base resistance for the transistors).

- Hook

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't waste your money. A normal USB to parallel converter will NOT work!!! USB to parallel port converters do not create your standard addressed LPT port as a physical port does.

I know of one USB to Parallel converter that does create an LPT port, but VSA currently does not support it.

One thing you can do is see if there is a docking station for your laptop. These will typically give you a parallel port, serial port, etc...
Not to hijack the post but... is there a reason why most of these things are done using parallel ports versus serial?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts