Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New to the group and am building my first cemetery fence.

Can I paint my PVC before I melt the end to get the filials on?

I have everything cut and ready to paint. All the tutorials (thank you!!) say to put filial on and then paint, but I started this project kind of last minute this year and don’t have my filials yet.

I’m worried the filials won’t get here in time and would still like to put up my new fence, have been wanting to build one for so long. Hoping I can do this in two steps- paint first and then do filials if there’s time before Halloween, or put them on after Halloween for next year.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you paint first, you will likely have to do a little touch up around the finial bases. Not the worst thing with some spraypaint, and painting the pipes will go quicker if you can roll them anyways (assuming you are going to use a tarp and paint one side, wait, roll, paint the next side).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you paint first, you will likely have to do a little touch up around the finial bases. Not the worst thing with some spraypaint, and painting the pipes will go quicker if you can roll them anyways (assuming you are going to use a tarp and paint one side, wait, roll, paint the next side).
Thank you Engineerchic! I don’t mind a little touch up, just worried if I painted first that it would mess it up and didn’t want to have to re-do a bunch of PVC at the last minute.

Do you think flat or matte black would look better with the black plastic finials? Thanks again!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just built a fence this year. I painted it with Rustoleum hammered paint. I used the flat/matte black. It gave it a nice weather metal look. I'd hit the PVC with some sandpaper and wipe it with rubbing alcohol before you paint.

·
The Minister of Macabre
953 Posts
Yes you can! I made a PVC fence years ago, painted and completed except for the Finials, which I added a month ago. Used the heat gun to soften the tops, placed the Final and done. You May have to do a little touch up as Engineerchic said... I did next to none on mine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Worse case scenario is paint bubbling or blistering off when heat is applied, which might snowball into sanding off the blisters to reapply. You could paint the majority of the pipe, and leave the area that will be heated up unpainted. If the finnials are pre-painted (from the factory?), then the little bit of touch up paint to the pipe would help blend the finnial into the pipe's paint finish.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
Depends on how you are attaching the finials. If using the heat gun to soften the PVC they you may get some of the paint bubbling/peeling but most should be covered by the finial. you will need to a minor touch up of the area. If you are using the dowel or other method, then you shouldn't do any damage to the main pieces. Either way, you will likely need to touch up a few items, but pre-painting the major pieces should save you the time later. And as the weather is getting cooler and damper, getting paint to dry quickly is the real challenge. Even after mine was done, it got a few scratches during final assembly in the yard and I went through a can of spray paint to touch it up.

I use the Rust-oleum Flat Black Paint/Primer, and it was nearly an exact match to the finials. Here the poles are painted but the finials are natural. I had to touch-up to hide the silver rivets. but I had formed them before painting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts